Here is a real old one G.P. Busse Field Grade

I can't offer much insight on the blade as it was well before my time here. However, I will say that you have an amazing piece of Busse history there. Congrats.

Garth

Thank you Garth. Would it be possible for you to ask Jerry Busse about this knife. Apologies if i have this incorrect but while I was trying to research the knife it listed you as the custom shop bladesmith of Busse knives. Thanks again

Garth is actually in charge of the tequila supply. It's a full time job over there.

Really cool how much Busse DNA you can detect in that old model. Looks like Jerry has known what he was doing for awhile now. ;)
Beastly and gorgeous!

The profile and feel of the grip is incredible. It’s like the scales and bolts holding them on are seamless and perfect

The profile and feel of the grip is incredible. It’s like the scales and bolts holding them on are seamless and perfect

Nice score my friend! I believe it is circa 1984 - 1988. It was cut out and completely ground by hand.

It was designed on the front of the grinding wheel and no two were ever exactly alike.

The steel is A2 and I parkerized that bad boy AFTER the handles were on and finished.

If you drink a few, you can see the Battle Mistress looming in the shadows!!!

Let's Drink!!! :cool:

Jerry :D

Thanks Jerry! The other two Busse Kin I own are a Ratmandu Proto 1 of 13 and a Rodent Solution that I use on a daily basis. This one must have sat quietly in a drawer or safe for the last 35 years because it appears completely unused. In the world of Busse collectors is this considered a “grail” ?

Thanks Jerry! The other two Busse Kin I own are a Ratmandu Proto 1 of 13 and a Rodent Solution that I use on a daily basis. This one must have sat quietly in a drawer or safe for the last 35 years because it appears completely unused. In the world of Busse collectors is this considered a “grail” ?

I’d say it is, for sure. :thumbsup: Look at the smoothing around that logo. That thing was fondled a bit and well taken care of.

There’s certainly a bit of Urgent Fury on the tail end. Any idea on the number of Field Grade that we’re ground - so long ago? One more model to look for. Peepers Peeled. Everything shows up. Somewhere. Eventually.

Last edited:
Any idea on the number of Field Grade that we’re ground - so long ago? One more model to look for.

Surely you jest.

Jerry used to tell tales of a Nuclear Mother Payload of knives hidden in a cave in the SoCal desert. He can't remember where. Some have searched. None have had success.

All part of the OG Busse legend and lore.

6hvFPB8.jpg

ntYxkdo.jpg

40gwgJO.jpg

Epic score! I used to own that one's brother, but let it go a couple years ago to KH. It was chunky for sure, a little under 3/8" thick at the spine, and around .090" at the edge shoulder IIRC. Interesting that yours has three bolts on the handle, and mine only had two. They were each unique for sure, which I found to be part of the fun of collecting the older pre-CNC Busse blades. Even if you had 20 of the same model (*cough* Battle Mistresses *cough* :D), they all had their slight variations. I can even usually spot ones I used to own when pics are posted by the current owner.

Link to my original thread about it https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-blast-from-the-past.1069084/

wSLK8BO.jpg

O6IW0zy.jpg

zKg76M0.jpg

Fhqfmqs.jpg

fbK6dwq.jpg

Last edited:
That is a sweet one. I was bidding for it on Ebay. It went for more than my bid and your the lucky guy who got it. I was going to put it in my permanent collection!!! Congratulations on the score!

JrGannon, this is your lucky day. I will buy that blade off of you for SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS over what it originally listed for. Dont feel like you're ripping me off, Im just an old eccentric guy that loves those old uncollectible NON-INFI failed models that Jerry made before he seriously got into drinking and grinding. PM me now.

Back