Here it is....RMD LE....Pic and Specs!!!!

Well, I was hoping for an INFI RMD with tigerhide, maybe even snakeskin ( ;) ), but I guess I'll settle with this.

Eric, send me #13 and #67

Thanks

:D

So maybe I'm confused here. I was looking at RMDs lately and then this LE came up. Can someone explain why this one is better? I figured the finish was a good thing to protect against corrosion, and the thickness was good for strength. I do like the G10, but then again the micarta is good too. Is this just a collector thing? (I am looking for a user, and the RMD is affordable. I think I'm with Feezle on this one, maybe some of you will have to make room.)

A satin finish and a thinner stock means that the LE will be better for slicing and most basic knife activities. IMO satin and thin is what makes a blade perform well. This will be a great performer.

Sweeeet!!! Was hoping for other scale options, but oh well. I'm in for sure.

Here are the RMD specs from Doug's sticky:

Ratmandu (G10) (SR101)..... = 11.0 oz; .189" thick; 5.3125" blade; 10.5" oal
Ratmandu (micarta) (SR101) = 9.4 - 10.0 oz; .173", .189", .2" thick; 5.3125" blade; 10.5" oal

Given the slight reduction in thickness due to the uncoated, satin-finished blade and the fact that G10 is heavier than Micarta, the RMDLE should come in about 1 oz heavier than the RMDCG. The additional weight will all be in the handle, of course. But that works for me. I like my utility knives to be a little handle heavy. They feel more secure to me that way.

This will be a very functional design and the thinner stock will help with slicing. I have posted previously how the RMD did surprisingly well at skinning and this one will perform even better. The RMD design and the " outstanding" feel of the handle will make this a all around knife for serveral task. As for as chopping and batoning, a larger knife would be superior however, the RMD was never marketed as a chopper but people have put the RMD to hard use and it performed quite well for it's size. I like the satin finish and why I would like to see the RMD made in INFI for rust resistance and like the Ganza RMD clip point's. I like the feel of the micarta on the RMD but G-10 should be good also.

This will be a very functional design and the thinner stock will help with slicing. I have posted previously how the RMD did surprisingly well at skinning and this one will perform even better. The RMD design and the " outstanding" feel of the handle will make this a all around knife for serveral task. As for as chopping and batoning, a larger knife would be superior however, the RMD was never marketed as a chopper but people have put the RMD to hard use and it performed quite well for it's size. I like the satin finish and why I would like to see the RMD made in INFI for rust resistance and like the Ganza RMD clip point's. I like the feel of the micarta on the RMD but G-10 should be good also.

Super X,
You nailed it with a couple of great points. While we don't intend the RMD to be a chopper it is built to be tough and so it can handle those tough tasks, (splitting etc) It works great for the small tasks and yet it can handle the big tasks. I believe that is one of the reasons it is so popular....well, that and it is just plain sexy ;)
Great handle, great feel of the knife, just an all-around great piece

:D:D

Super X,
You nailed it with a couple of great points. While we don't intend the RMD to be a chopper it is built to be tough and so it can handle those tough tasks, (splitting etc) It works great for the small tasks and yet it can handle the big tasks. I believe that is one of the reasons it is so popular....well, that and it is just plain sexy ;)
Great handle, great feel of the knife, just an all-around great piece.

:D:D

One of Jerry's all-time greatest knives, if you ask me! :thumbup: :thumbup: And to quote A.G. Russell, I'd expect the LEs to sell like donuts at a Texas B-B-Q . . . for as long as they last, that is.

:D

Sweet! :thumbup: I can't believe they're only going to make 300 of these. I bet they could easily sell twice that! Looking forward to ordering one!

Last edited:
I love my RMD CGs, and have enough of them (I'd have to check my spreadsheet to be sure, but I think it's 17) that I may let the LE pass by. However, I also hate to let a limited release get away -- they tend to increase in value, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

As far as G10 vs Micarta handles go, I prefer the feel of canvas Micarta -- the ridges feel softer against my palms, but I think G10 looks better so they're both good.

I'm thinking about one. But I get rust on my edc rodent solution on the edge and I'm scared this will be worse

I love my RMD CGs, and have enough of them (I'd have to check my spreadsheet to be sure, but I think it's 17) that I may let the LE pass by. However, I also hate to let a limited release get away -- they tend to increase in value, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
Sounds like a real good reason NOT to let the LE pass by. Sell one of your 17 (or two if you absolutely have to) and use the proceeds to buy the LE. Having owned the equivalent of an LE for quite some time, I can tell you that you'll be glad you did.

To comment on some of the things said in the last few posts.
The RatManDu is a great all around knife. I keep one in my tool box. Some have seen it posted in the photo request thread where I went on to show this years Christmas tree. I didn't post any words with the pics since I felt they spoke for themselves. My new LE is not going to be used for chopping unless it's all I have at the time I need to chop. But will be used often for most other knife tasks.
A bit about rust on knife edges. I know it is easiest to just suggest use it more often. But realistically, a little maintenance will fix it. WD-40, light oil rag wipe, perhaps a couple swipes on a stone or sharpening steel to keep the edge sharp, etc.
And if I owned 17 RMDs and really wanted an LE all I would do is pick my least favorite of my 17, sell it and buy an LE. *But only after upgrading my membership, of course.
I really hope we can order more than one of these. I like it that much. Plus if I ever decide to request a different handle material I will always have an original.

I like this RMD LE too:

935_0148.jpg

Which one is better, that's the question?

Back