Here's a really stupid heat treat question for you guys!

Can damascus or any of the oil quench steels be quenched between aluminum plates like stainless and if not, why? Thanky again for helping out us morons!

I guess it would depend on the damascus. Simple steel damascus, no. Maybe the stainless damascus steels, but I it might depend on the materials.

If you are talking steels that must have an oil quench because of a narrow window of hardenability, then no, the plates will not work. Oil quenches are much faster than plates. Plates would be too slow for such steels. Only on steels that can use the air or interrupted oil quench method could plates be effective when used right.

If it has deep hardenability, plates have a better chance. Shallow hardenability, the plates will not work (for martensite that is).

Describe the plates. Are they being left in still air or quenched in something with the knife? I was thinking of the still air method.

-Jason

I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about, so take this for what its worth.

I don't think that would work out very well, because of the huge difference in how the two metals respond to heat. I've been using some aluminum to make various knife parts, and it is pretty gummy (hardware store cheap stuff, not 6061 or anything).So it might be totally different than other alloys.
It seems like it transfers heat much slower than steel. Grinding 1/8" stock, I can dip the steel and its cool enough to work with. The aluminum tends to stay hot unless its submerged for a few seconds. It also expands a hellish amount when its hot, trying to grind some to thickness for a backspacer,I was checking it with a micrometer and it was growing. I had to completely cool it off to get a good measurement.
So I would be worried that the aluminum would hold the heat and effect the quench on the steel. I also wonder if the drastic expansion of the aluminum might mean that if you were to get it to quench fast like the steel it might break or warp, damaging the blade.

Just some thoughts, really don't know much about it.

hmmm....what if you freeze the plates prior to quenching...?

how about -200F or so (liquid nitrogen)...then what would happen?

-Rob

my hand would freeze to the first damn plate and I'd be done for the day ;)

For folks who remember to use tongs/pliars etc for grabbing hot/cold stuff, results could be entirely different.

Ahhhh, I got a big sheet of 01 for when I start making slips so I just need to learn the proper way to oil quench anyways. Guess I'll buy some olive oil and give it a try. I heard the shop smells like a bakery on heat treat day when you use olive oil, would be a nice change. Thanks guys!

Back