Here's a thought

Here's an idea for all the tinkers out there.

How about using a lawn tractor transaxle for a variable speed on whatever kind of machine your building......grinder...bandsaw...etc.

Might not work well at very high speeds, but thought it might work for something.
The transaxle is just what it sounds like...a transmision and axle combo, with a shifter(5,6 speeds) and a pully on top.

Please post your thoughts.
Mace

I was thinking electric...but I suppose if you were someplace with no electric you could use a gas motor.

I suppose you could rig up a simple clutch pully....just like on the tractor...to shift it while the motor is running.

Here is something else I just thought of......you would have a reverse gear also.

I think this could be a good idea for something....just not sure what yet.

Let's put the thinking caps on.:D
Mace

You got to get Aldo involved in this. Did he ever get his air hammer going?????:D I remember seeing someone use a Chevy rear end , tranny and motor driving a Hammer:confused: :confused:

fitzo

Gold Member
There was a shady character named Rick Watson aka bulldogsblades who several years back showed pictures of a power hammer that used a tranny out of a Ford truck. It was powered via electric motor. Whether it worked or not is undetermined; he said it did. Unfortunately, he seems to have never delivered on the orders he took money for, so this information is anecdotal.

That's sounds like what I seen. Thanks Fatzo:D :D
How about using the flywheel assembly off a V Twin hooked to the transaxle for a hammer????

I have seen pics of those hammers....its actually what got me to thinking about the transaxle. Not sure it would take the abuse if it was used in the same manner. Might work for something like a planishing hammer maybe.
Not sure if the gears would help in this aplication. But you could run your hammer backwards too.:eek: ;)

Could be good for a slow to mid speed grinder. Handles and such.
How about for a dedicated machine for intregals(foward and revers).

Mace