Here's to Spyderco's Zytel handles!!!

I just wanted to take a second to express my appreciation of Spyderco's Zytel handles. They are cool. I'm talking about the surface pattern on the various knives. Two that rapidly come to mind are the Native and the Calypso Jr. I love the way the surfaces are patterned. Not the usual generic crosshatching. It these type of little things that make all of the difference.
Hear, Hear!!!

Agreed. I'm a big fan of those myself.

Leo

------------------
"Though the meek shall inherit the Earth, they won't keep it past Saturday night..."

Hear ye, hear me!

I love Spydercos, I love Zytel, and I'm cheap as heck too.

Yup. Hopin to git me a pink Delica soon.

Karl

------------------
"Celebrate the diversity of inclusive, self-esteem nurturing, multicultural weapons arts." Karl Spaulding, The Safety Guy

They're also lightweight, which gives you a lot of carry options, and fully ambidextrous, thanks to the reversible clip.
It's hard to find something not to like about them.

------------------
"Though the meek shall inherit the Earth, they won't keep it past Saturday night..."

Ok I have been hesitating saying this but this is the perfect post to bring it up. Yes i really like the patterned handles on the Calypso jr lwt and the Native. But here is something that maybe is just in my imagination and you can all call me crazy if you want but... next time your out with you Native FRN and driving around and you see one of the new toyota camry's look at the taillights. I swear they have close to the same pattern. Look... please tell me its not just me.
smile.gif

Jey

All our Spydercos are zytel, includeing our Native. When I get the Calypso Jr., I'm going to have to have one in macarta. RKBA!

Call me snobby, but I have found that I dislike Zytel, that is if its not made by Spyderco! Be it the Spyderie Native pattern, or the Fishy Calypso pattern, or the Volanoey Endura/Delica pattern, these bad boys just grip like no tomorrow.

It is easy to put Zytel down for being plastic but the fact is that zytel has been an important factor in making high quality steel knives available to a wide number of poeple. One of the most creative Zytel handles was that of the old Jess Horn Lightweight which gained traction through multiple printings of Jess Horn's name. I love the Native's pattern also.

While I appreciate the fish scale pattern for it's excellent bi-directional traction, plastic handles simply seem cheap to me. I understand their place in the market, I just make a point of not being in that place.

I must say that after getting my Matriarch I have a new-found respect for Spyderco's FRN-handled models. Once I discovered lined G-10 and Ti I almost never looked back, which would have been my loss! Previously, almost every FRN model that I have handled/owned had an issue with action smoothness and/or blade play. (OK, so I'm verrry picky, but try this: Take an open Endura or Delica, place the edge on a cutting board or phone book, and press with the handle as if cutting. See/feel the blade shift upwards a little?)

However, my minty fresh 2001 Matriarch not only has zero play, it is very smooth and flawlessly constructed to boot. Although I have never had a metal clip spin out like some people have experienced, it looks like the recess in the handle where the clip sits is now deeper and features a raised. molded "border" that should provide a greater measure of security. I will probably seek out an '01 Delica (blue one!) and maybe another(!) Endura based on my experience with my new Matriarch. and then I guess I need to get a Calypso Jr. Ltw. too. Damn.

Paul

They make a great Zytel knife! I am looking for a blue Delica as well!

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Back