herneuters

Got the herneuter-pix Johan sent (thanks Johan :) ):

herneuter.JPG

and here's the colour pic Yvsa found too:

gen02a.jpg

I'll let Johan comment on them (esp. as I don't know anything ;) )

What's the title of the article mean? 'Herneuters make (the) man?' just a guess - I always enjoy looking at Dutch and Afrikaans, look like 'crazy German' too me ('too many' vowels) and always feel like I can _almost_ understand it.

cheers,
B.

...is a strange experience. My total linguistic experience is a smattering of "border Spanish" and a handful of Cherokee my grandmother was unable to teach me. That header, to me, is "Herneuters We are Making". Not a guess, just the feel of it. Don't tell your fellow acadamians you know people like me. You will never get tenure that way:D

Originally posted by Walosi
...is a strange experience. My total linguistic experience is a smattering of "border Spanish" and a handful of Cherokee my grandmother was unable to teach me.

I'm glad you know what this feeling is - most people don't seem to know what I'm talking about. It's almost like not being able to get one's eyes to focus properly... I've never seen any discussion of it in any linguistic literature.

Originally posted by Walosi
That header, to me, is "Herneuters We are Making". Not a guess, just the feel of it. Don't tell your fellow acadamians you know people like me. You will never get tenure that way:D

Your 'guess' is probably more likely, since German wir=English "we" and Afrikaans weer is likely the same as german wir. I was thinking of were like in 'were-wolf' (which actally means "man-wolf"), virility also contains this word ("man-liness"). Or Johan will come and tell us both that we're wrong ;)

cheers, Ben.

"HERNEUTERS WEER GEMAAK"

= "Herneuters again made" (literal translation)

= "Herneuters manufactured once again" (proper English sentence construction)

Thanks for posting the pics, Beoram.

Originally posted by beoram
...feel like I can_almost_understand it.

Try taking Paiute on a reservation where everyone else has grown up around it, but just never tried to formally learn it heretofore.

They literally hear things that aren't there - subtleties of nuance that jump out as red flags to them that something's being sluffed off. And all the while you sit there wondering how they went from " One, Two, Three, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty...". What happened to 4 thru 17? Arrgh!

Talk about frustrating! (^%#%*&^(**)+_*&^%!!!)

I always wondered how long it would take for a Dutch person to learn the South African language :)

-Emile

Dutch and Afrikaans are not that far apart. If I am not mistaken, Afrikaans evolved from the ancient Dutch language. So Dutch and Afrikaans share a common ancestor. Johan, correct me if I'm wrong on this.

There are some alternate languages and dialects from Holland which for a Dutch person are harder to understand than Afrikaans. Like 'Groningen' dialect and the Fries language. Very interesting stuff.

-Emile

Emile, thanks for your comments. When I was in the Netherlands in 1996, I found that the Dutch people struggled to understand my Afrikaans. Also that the Dutch spoke too rapidly for me to understand them. We used English to get along.

I hear that Flemish is much more comparable to Afrikaans.

In the days of the Anglo Boer War Dutch was the language of the Boers. My grandmother wrote all her letters to her children in Dutch. Before 1931 the Bible of the Afrikaans people was the Dutch "Statenbijbel".

By the way, Emile, there's no such thing as "the South African language". Even in "apartheid" times there were two official languages - Afrikaans and Engish. We now have 11 (yep - eleven) "official" languages, of which Afrikaans is one. Others are English, Zulu, Xhosa, Sotho, Pedi, etc. Zulu is spoken by more South Africans than any other of the languages. The other day I spoke in English to one of my black colleagues. She immediately replied: Why do you speak in English? Afrikaans is my language too." I appreciated that!

Johan,

I hear that Flemish is much more comparable to Afrikaans.

Interesting, since they all are related, it would perhaps suggest that flemish evolved in a way much closer to Afrikaans than Dutch. Must look into that one. The Belgians always beat us in 'Dutch' spelling contests :). Their beer can't be beaten either.

By the way, Emile, there's no such thing as "the South African language". Even in "apartheid" times there were two official languages - Afrikaans and Engish. We now have 11 (yep - eleven) "official" languages, of which Afrikaans is one.

Yes, 'the South African language' should have been 'Afrikaans'. Thanks for pointing this out.

Best Regards,
-Emile

When I visited Amsterdam as a young man I found the locals spoke English as well as I did. Lucky for me. I tried my hand at Dutch and butchered the pronunciation so badly nobody could understand a word I was trying to say.

I tried my hand at Dutch and butchered the pronunciation so badly nobody could understand a word I was trying to say.

yep, some Dutch words seem to be difficult to pronounce for non-Dutch people. Sometimes however, I am suprised at the speed foreigners seem to master the language in quite a short time.

Speaking about foreigners and language, the 15' AK is really starting to talk well to me. A few days ago it spoke in Dutch: "Go fetch me a chicken, tomatoes and some other vegetables, I need to slice and chop something". It did and a good chicken curry was the result. Now the blade has some nice patina to it as well.

-emile

Way to go, Emile. Had a fine time in Amsterdam and I remember it fondly. Beautiful girls, friendly people, great museums, and all the Heineken I could drink at 25 cents USD per bottle.

Back