Hess Knifeworks?

Like the looks of these knives,but haven't found anything online about them.How is the quality,performance etc?Thanx!

(Edit: some of?) the blades are made by GEC so you know the HT is good. I think they have a high reputation overall as a small shop making traditional fixed blade patterns.

Last edited:
Like the looks of these knives,but haven't found anything online about them.How is the quality,performance etc?Thanx!

I have 4 Hess fixed blades. For the price the quality is very good. The blades have a razor edge from the factory.

(A comment from the "Michigan Knives" web site:Note: These knives have Convex grinds and while most warnings regarding "sharpness" are BS, please be extra careful when handling a Hess knife. We do not recommend them for beginners, kids, etc.)

They are hand made in a small shop in Gladstone, MI. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan). Started out by a father & son who had previously worked for Marbles Knives in Gladstone prior to them declaring bankruptcy. It started as a small shop in the son's garage.

non-BF dealer citation removed.
HessKnives004.jpg

I found one of the Amber Stag handled at Bill's shop. Per my request, He asked them to make a second one for me. The pictures don't do this handle justice. They are simply beautiful in person.

HessKnives011.jpg

Stacked leather is a favorite handle material of mine.

HessKnives009.jpg

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look really interesting :thumbup:

They are a very nice knife for the value minded. Not all the bells and whistles as a custom, but a hard core worker with very nice covers.

I really like the look of the Mini Caper. Being a Michigander I'm going to have to give these a closer look. Its always fun to find things from your home state. I particularly like how the tang stamp says Gladwin Michigan on it.

I think their sheaths are the most disappointing part. they are a little flimsy, but not bad.

The knives themselves are tough to beat for the price. Like Mike said, workers for sure.

I ordered four,three pioneers and a tiburon. They are as good as any made by marble , 1095 carbon steel. The sheaths are made by Gladstone mfg right there in Gladstone . I highly recommend them for a hunting knife . I only wish they made a 5 in blade . We stopped by there last summer on a motorcycle trip . I kept the Tiburon for me , sharp isn't the word for it ! For a knife in that price range ,I can't think of any thing close .

Jake

We stopped by there last summer on a motorcycle trip.

You stopped by Hess Knifeworks? My wife's family owns property about 20 minutes from them and we go up there a couple times a year. I've thought about calling them up and seeing if I could stop by, but got the feeling they might just be working out of their garage or something and not really be set up for visitors. I'd be very interested in hearing some details about your visit.

I have two Hess knives. Scary sharp and hold a good edge. Dressed a doe out with my Muley. A great working knife for sure. I highly recommend them for hunting.
The two on the ends are Hess Knives, the other is a Battle Horse Knife. Left is the Outdoorsman, right the Muley.

You stopped by Hess Knifeworks? My wife's family owns property about 20 minutes from them and we go up there a couple times a year. I've thought about calling them up and seeing if I could stop by, but got the feeling they might just be working out of their garage or something and not really be set up for visitors. I'd be very interested in hearing some details about your visit.

I wanted to use a special piece of walnut ,I had . They are out of a small shop in a garage , but Don is a fine man and his son Mike. I bought four from them , all were picked my friends . Last week I ordered three tiburions for my grandsons :) . We missed Don that day but mike took the time to show us how he made them . He had made my old marble ,that was stolen a while back . Mike told us every thing was from the USA . I was impressed with edge that came on them . They don't make exact copy of the marbles , but make the handel a little longer . All things considered a great knife . Also they will repair them if you mess one up . It america at its finest , real men making real knives
We stopped in town and had a walleye dinner that was out of this world ! What a great day !
Jake

Back