Hey Bonafied, I think I'm Gonna Need Another Sheath....

Mistwalker

Gold Member
Well...I bought this one for my daughter's Hiking Buddy. The old JRE sheath really doesn't provide enough retention to suit me for her. But I neglected to note that the handle on this particular HB is a little thin compared to all the others I have had. So this sheath doesn't really retain it well either. I was going to just wait and talk to you at Blade, and just leave her knife with you if you will make a tighter sheath for it. She is sort of like taking a monkey on a walk through the woods...perhaps she watched too much Curious George at a formative age :)

However as it turns out, the mid tech HB has a thicker handle, and it works just fine for that Hiking Buddy, and classes it up very nicely, so I am going to use this sheath for the midtech knife :D But I'd still like to get another for her HB if you have time to mess with it. I do really like this sheath design a lot.

DSC_2190.jpg

DSC_2194.jpg

DSC_2199.jpg

I have one of those for my BC Sr and it really is a beautiful design. Looks great with that HB :)

Well Brian .. I dont reckon I can make anything 'Monkey Proof' unless I make you a flap sheath.

As for the handle HB snap design pictured, I build to them to Model Standard design which explains why it fits your Mid-Tech Hiking Buddy well.
For the production knives, Andy supplied a 'model standard' for the patterns to be made. Andy sold me the Hiking Buddy he used for the Mid-Tech pattern.
It's 1/8" SFT .. and I set my HB sheath pattern to fit that knife. Funny you posted this thread - by coincidence I was finishing the sheath pictured. ;)

Bring that thin handle HB to Blade so I can look it over. I have a couple 3/32" HBs that I can use to pattern and will see about making a couple snappers that will be better accommodating.

Model Standard Hiking Buddy used for the Mid Tech pattern

HB_model_standard_2015_01.jpg

HB_model_standard_2015_02.jpg

Fresh off the workbench Hiking Buddy snap sheath holding a 1/8" TT HB of mine. Will be available tomorrow.

snap_HB_june01.jpg

Lol, a flap sheath might be better for her now that you mention it. That's what I had in my younger days on older Buck knives :) Yeah, it took me getting the mid tech to really notice how much thinner the handle is on hers. It's fine because it works well for her. I was mainly excited to get a pinkish purplish one for her and didn't note the thinness till later. I have multiple mid tech HBs and more coming, so finding that this sheath also fits them worked out well, gives me different options for different applications :)

Back