• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Hey Cliff! Parrish info.

Tenbeers

Gold Member
The hollow handle thread has become convoluted so I thought I'd start a new thread to address a question of yours. You asked about the teeth on the Parrish. I own the Parrish, the teeth are identical to the ones found on the Ontario survival machete. I think it's the SP8. At least the older Sp8 that I have. It may be different now. This has always struck me as odd considering the fact that Parrish pattented this saw tooth pattern back in the 80's. I even called him once to ask about this but he didn't seem interested at the time. All I know is that when held side by side the teeth are the exact same. It is a triple diamond shape.
Just thought I'd pass the info along.
Ten

[This message has been edited by Tenbeers (edited 16 July 1999).]

Hey Tenbeers, I didn't know you were a member over here.Cool. If you have the time, I'd love to see a small review of the RP survival knife. By the time I heard of him, he wasn't making knives anymore. Have you used the Valois yet?

Ten, how do the teeth/serrations perform? Are they suited to only working on harder materials like metals or can they be used on wood or even webbing/ropes?

-Cliff

Hey tknife, so far I have only done some light cutting with the Valois. It is a little light for heavy chopping. I'll probably use it as a basic utility blade and leave the heavy stuff for the BM.
As far as the Parrish, by the time I bought it, I'd long passed the hollow handle craze.
I decided to keep it as a collector piece. As it turned out, it looks like that was the best thing to do as Parrish doesn't seem to be making anything now. In the past 13 yrs, I think I've only read one negative review of it and I've read at least 10 different ones. So even though I can't speak from personal experience, it seems to be well regarded.
Later,Ten

[This message has been edited by Tenbeers (edited 16 July 1999).]

Cliff, I've only tried the SP8's teeth on wood. O'k as for as these things go but I could have chopped through much quicker. I don't think the teeth would do well on rope etc. Would snag badly. This tooth pattern did work better on wood than some like the old Buckmaster. Made a smoother, more even cut as I recall. Teeth like those on the Buckmaster tend to just tear and gouge, where as the Sp8's teeth will actually saw.But as I stated before, chopping would be faster! I also don't think this type of saw teeth would weaken the blade like the type seen on the Buckmaster, which are gapped apart.
Ten

The Parrish was mentioned the Combat Knives by Leroy Thompson. He really liked and reccomended buyig one if you ever find one and especially since Parrish is no longer making knives. He said the teeth are the best he ever used. I noticed they looked alot like the ones on my SP-8 which I have really never bothered to use as they don't seem very efficient but I guess I will have to try them now. Jeff Randall couldn't get very good results with them. Read his review of the SP-8 at his sight www.jungletraining.com under the heading gear evaluations.

thanks and take care
collin

About the only saw that can compete with a decent chopper speed wise is a decent buck saw. What I like serrations/saw teeth for are making neat/precise cuts in harder material. Unfortunately I have found that the patterns that work well in this area tend to have really low performance on more general cutting chores like rope, cardboard, webbing, flesh, etc. .

Thanks for the link Collin, while the pattern might be similar I wonder if the quality of the machining is of the the same quality on the SP8 and the Parrish. Jeff did describe the SP8 pattern as "blunt" which may be why he had little success with it.

-Cliff

Actually now that you mention it Mr. Stamp the teeth on my SP-8 are pretty blunt and I would be willing to bet those on the Parrish are sharper.

thanks and take care
collin

Back