• STOP USING PAYPAL FRIENDS & FAMILY
    Please, help us prevent you getting ripped off because someone got their account compromised by reusing their email & password. Read the new best practices for using the Exchange FAQ page.

Hey guys, goin for a trip, what do you think?!

alright, im heading out to wally world in a few minutes, and I wanted to pick up a knife(of course). Anyways, what do you guys think would be worth picking up, I've got 80 bucks, and I was think of getting a victorinox fireman ($40)

But I thought I'd let you guys give a few recomondations ;)

buck nighthawk 655 od or spyderco native are the only knives at wal-mart I would buy. good luck

Unfortunatly, up here in canada, thouse dont exist :(, mabye I'll look a little harder.

alright, im heading out to wally world in a few minutes, and I wanted to pick up a knife(of course). Anyways, what do you guys think would be worth picking up, I've got 80 bucks, and I was think of getting a victorinox fireman ($40)

But I thought I'd let you guys give a few recomondations ;)

Hey Fonly;

My recommendation in SAK's is the Victorinox Ranger - most of the usual features but also scissors (useful for trimming the quill on feathers for fletching arrows), wood saw (usefulness has already been discussed), wood/metal file w/ hack saw (obvious uses). This is the one I carry on a daily basis and I am quite satisfied with it. Around $45.00 at Le Baron.

In Bucks, the 112. I've never owned a 110, maybe one day, but I really like the size of the 112 and for bigger work I'd use a Mora or equiv.

Also, I recently bought a Buck Alpha Dorado - very nice little EDC pocket knife (more sheeple friendly than my Benchmade AFCK), yet robust enough to make trap parts, fire boards and drills, etc.

Anyway, let us know what you decide.

Doc

Don't forget, if all else fails you can peruse the Coghlans aisle of junk and maybe pick yerself up an Opinel. (they're always fun to tinker with too)

Ok here it is all :)

hpim1775wl5.jpg

Victorinox fireman one handed, neat little knife for a neat little price ($40)

Hey Fonly,

Nice looking knife. I personally don't like serrated blades, but I guess a lot of people do. Longer saw than on the Ranger as well.

Doc

Yeah, the serriations get me thinking, but I dont think they'll cause to much of a problem for me. I generally use the First thrid of the blade, so I dont think the placing of the serrations will make a diffrence.

And the saw length is a definet bonous!

Just got my SAK trekker (the current GAK version). I don't really like the serrations either, and thinking about removing it, or should I just use it and then resharpen it as if there is no serrations in it, until they all gone. Any suggestion?

well, If ya dont like'em, And you can, I'd say remove them. But If your not sure you want to do that, just sharpen them till there gone.

I was very close to picking up the same knife at wal mart just yesterday,
but the serrations bugged me, espically since it has a very good serrated blade.
I never thought of sharpening them off, wish I had picked it up.
I think the best larger vic is the jumpmaster, but of course its all relative, otherwise vic would only make one model, right?

I hope our Wally's down south start carrying a better SAK selection (now that I bought the Native). Though I hate serrations, the Trekker and Spirit are better than most. Probably sharpen them off eventually, though.

Nice Buy I have a A similar Sak with a plain blade but not the one hand opener. I got it from marlboro back when i smoked.

This is a great knife, the longer saw makes a difference, and the serrated blade is awsome on tough materials like roap and seatbelts.

Next time you go to wally world look for closeout knives. Mine had buck alpha folder for about 30$ and a buck mayo liner lock for 17$

I have picked up quite a few nifty items from walmart and lowes on closeouts.

yeah, one thing I notice while at the wally world here, is that they carry alot of "made in china" bucks, there around $20-$30. kinda disapointing, the only good ones they have here are the 110, 119, 112 and once ina while the omni hunter.

Nice Job Fonly.

I prefer the Trekker OHK but now that I think about it a corkscrew is muy handy.

Fonly,

I was wondering if you've had a chance to play around with the Fireman much yet, as I just found one of these when hunting around websites and liked the blade selection. Is the fully serrated 'belt cutter' worth much? I can't tell from the pictures how sharp and aggressive the serrations are. I'd like a one-handed Vic in that style, with a non-serrated blade and saw.

Back