Hey guys, would you think I lost it if...

Hi y'all. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been working my tail end off and taking care of the kids while my wife works and tries to finish night school. I still look at the boards pretty often but am usually too darn tired to post.

But, I need a favor. I need a sounding board. I'm 38 years old and call it an early mid-life crisis. Except, instead of chasing a younger woman and getting an old classic car, I am thinking about making a serious career change.

I'm thinking about going to Osteopathic school, becoming a doctor and then moving OUT of this Atlanta suburb and out to the countryside where I belong. I would have to so some preliminary courses, which would take me about a year, and then the program is 4 years long. So, I would be around 44-45 when I'm done. But, helping and healing people in a way like this is something that I have always wanted to do and I can see myself working up through my old age with this vocation.

There is an Osteopathic school near where I live in Georgia that recruits older guys like me as "non-traditional" students. And I have a very good chance at getting in. My question, do y'all think I'm getting too old to do something like this?

Thanks -

David

If it's something that you want to do and it doesn't hurt anyone, you're never too old to do it, are you?

A wiser person than myself once opined that it's better to regret the things that you've done, rather than the ones you haven't. While that might be oversimplifying things a bit I believe it may apply in this case.

Well David it has been even longer since I posted (hello everyone). I am a bit younger then you but not by much. I just moved from a near by Atlanta suburb, near to you that is, and moved to Denver. I did it because I needed to do it and think that I will be happier in the long run. You are the only one that can say for sure so do what feels right to you. Take care and hope that it all works out for you and your family!

I have been working my tail end off and taking care of the kids while my wife works and tries to finish night school.

I'm thinking about going to Osteopathic school, becoming a doctor and then moving OUT of this Atlanta suburb and out to the countryside where I belong.

My question, do y'all think I'm getting too old to do something like this?

I don't know you well enough to generalize from the few lines I quoted, but it sounds to me like this move would fit right in.

Your wife is doing it, working and learning. You take care of kids and work. This would continue to set a great example for them, of always going for the best in you, true upward mobility, not just an organizational promotion.

You're only too old when you're dead. Getting into an advanced medical position is ideal in many ways for an older person, both for your ability to see healing as a broader matter than biological mechanics and for your patients' reliance on your experience.

LR, you'd still be pretty young when you finished.

I consider you very lucky to know what you want. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up (55 now). I say go for it.

unlike Luke Skywalker, you are NOT too old, to begin the training!

If you can do it righteously, go for it.

All the best,

Tom

I say go for it! A change that can improve your life and well being is never a bad thing. My wife and I are saving for just such a thing, and we're both 26. She works as a psych for the school system but would like to maybe one day have her own private practice or even teach at the college level. I work in the family business, but I doubt anyone after me will really be gung ho to enter it. I'm the first formally educated family member to opt in, but being the oldest by 10 years means that I'll get the lion's share of what's left over...makes more sense for cousins to do their own thing, really. However, I would love to get out of this around the age of 50 or 55 and go do something that I love. Maybe do seminars on 40 years of experience. Maybe move out into the country and bang on steel. I'd love to get into some really abstract sculpting on day. Maybe build a polebarn and breed ferrets. Maybe work the toll booth at a State Park...who knows!

I have no idea what my passions might be at that time, but I want to be prepared. We all get that itch to move on to something else. Life is just too damn short to stick with something because it's familiar. Good to see you posting, David...You too, Mark!:D:thumbup:

No way. Go for it!

And good to see you too. How's the little ones?

Hi y'all. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been working my tail end off and taking care of the kids while my wife works and tries to finish night school. I still look at the boards pretty often but am usually too darn tired to post.

But, I need a favor. I need a sounding board. I'm 38 years old and call it an early mid-life crisis. Except, instead of chasing a younger woman and getting an old classic car, I am thinking about making a serious career change.

I'm thinking about going to Osteopathic school, becoming a doctor and then moving OUT of this Atlanta suburb and out to the countryside where I belong. I would have to so some preliminary courses, which would take me about a year, and then the program is 4 years long. So, I would be around 44-45 when I'm done. But, helping and healing people in a way like this is something that I have always wanted to do and I can see myself working up through my old age with this vocation.

There is an Osteopathic school near where I live in Georgia that recruits older guys like me as "non-traditional" students. And I have a very good chance at getting in. My question, do y'all think I'm getting too old to do something like this?

Thanks -

David

Go to the WV School of Osteopathing Medicine in Lewisburg WV. You can go to school, live in the country and have the Monongahela National Forest within a few miles of where you are living.

You have the Greenbrier River Trail a fantastic trail that runs along the Greenbrier River. Tons of good places to hunt. The new Big Draft proposed wilderness. Beartown State Park, The Greenbrier River it'self which is good fishing and Anthony Creek which goes way out into the middle of nowhere and has excellent swimming holes only a few miles from Lewisburg.:thumbup:

http://www.wvsom.edu/west_virginia_school_of_osteopathic_medicine.aspx

http://www.lewisburg-wv.com/history.htm

http://www.pocahontas.org/monongahela_national_forest.aspx

Go for it! I wish I had gone to med school when I was younger. Now my interest run other directions after 35 years in the healthcare field. Believe me when I say we need good, caring people in healthcare now more than ever.
Terry

I went back to school at age 30. I went through the same thought process. When I was considering the prospect of three more years of school, I remarked to a friend, "Man, I'm going to be 33 when I finish." He asked me, "Well, how old are you going to be in three years if you don't go back to school?"

It's never too late to take a new path. Best wishes.

Eric

I went back to school at 30 as well. I'm 22 years into that, and it was the right thing to do for me at the time.

I'd like to wave a magic wand and go back to 30, and find a way to do something else, but the choices have been made. I believed the spin about computers being the employment of the future, which made sense, but at the time folks weren't thinking about outsourcing.

Go for it now. If you wait 5 or 10 years it will be almost impossible to make the same level of change or commitment.

Your new profession can never be outsourced, will always be in demand, and is something you love to do! Sounds like a winner of a move to me. :thumbup:

Norm

You could be dead tomorrow, or healthy and active at 90. Do what you would LIKE to be doing. If you think you would fit in the health field, go for it. I always pick a D.O. rather than an M.D. for my primary doc.
My best man is a D.O. in Tenn. :)

Dino in Reno

Do what in your heart you feel you should. IMO sounds good to me. :) Specially if it means more Khukuris and a better way of life for you and yours.

Heber

Dr Lions Roar.

I like the sound of that.

That's much better than one of my doctors.
Dr Richard Head.
Yep, Dr Dick Head.:p

I've always wanted to call his office and in an officious way say, "Give me Head,... right now!" just to see what the reaction would be.:D

Seriously now.
What does your wife say?

"There is an Osteopathic school near where I live in Georgia that recruits older guys like me as "non-traditional" students. And I have a very good chance at getting in. My question, do y'all think I'm getting too old to do something like this? "

The school doesn't think you're too old. Why would you think so?

You're intelligent and physically fit. The only thing that should possibly stop you would be finances or the spouse. And I don't see either one of those popping up.

Good Luck.

Hell, go for it.

When I was 30 I switched trades to become a tool & die maker (which was 4 years of college, plus 8000 hours -- 4 year's full time -- of on the job training). We had one guy that just retired at 48 from a job he'd been at since 18, and was one of only 3 that graduated our class, so it can be done. In fact, I think you're better off doing it later in life as you have more discipline and have put in your time at crap jobs and Hard Times U, and those things help you cowboy up and get through it whent he going gets rough, where a lot of the younger guys drop out.

I was going to start a new thread, but this is just as good as any. I haven't posted here in about a month or so. I've been off training for a new job that is in a different branch of machining than what I used to do. Now I have a job that's pretty much a dream job for me.

If it's something you really want, go for it. You only go around once.

Back