Hey.. One more Bow Drill Thread, w/Pics

Here are some pics I took for a Class I taught last September..
Bow1.jpg

That "nest" is Old Mans Beard moss, Cedar bark, and pitchwood

Bow2.jpg

Bow4.jpg

Bow5.jpg

Bow6.jpg

Blow soooo gently!

Bow7.jpg

My Benchmade 9050.. One of a couple Benchmade did in red or blue. It's my workhorse folding knife.. I've had it for about 4 years, and it has seen some abuse!

I think it's a knife geek thing..

I'd have one made from INFI if Jerry Busse would ever get around to making one!

Ummm. questions. Um... oh yeah...do you realize that you are one of only five hundred people in North America who can do this? And...how well did the wooden deck burn?

Codger

The deck burned fine.. Wood was dry and well seasoned. Lost the new Weber grill though, that kinda sucked.

Thanks for the nice words guys.

Codger, he must be 501! :)
Mike, nice demo! you da man.

1. What wood is the drill and fireboard?

2. What was you total time "drilling"?

Codger, he must be 501! :)
Mike, nice demo! you da man.

1. What wood is the drill and fireboard?

2. What was you total time "drilling"?

The Fireboard is maple, as is the spindle. I've used cedar, but I think I get a better coal with the maple.

Total time drilling.. About 60 seconds.

it also helps to keep the para cord low on the spindle, so it doesn't go flying off. wish i would have saved my drill-bow set from California. it was made of cottonwood and perfectly sized shaped components. preparation is 90% of the process. the other ten is practice.

Awesome! I'm glad the neighbors didn't call the fire dept. with all that smoke. This is one skill I definitely need to practice this summer. Thanks for the great post!

Why just practice over the summer?

The winter is usually wet, and materials are hard to come by.. Yet, this is truely the time to practice. Learn where you can find dry materials. What works for a base, and what doesn't? The coal even ACTS differently in a colder environment.

My suggestion would be to practice like mad NOW. If you can successfully use a bow drill in the winter, I dare say you can do it just about anywhere/time.

One caveat: I must have made 100 attempts before I started one fire. Be prepared for many failures. During this time, pay attention to your base, and how it's made. There in lies the key!

Here is an image I picked up somewhere along the way..

notch.jpg

Do all (married) knife knuts have Titanium wedding bands? :p

no... mine is damascus and platinum.....:D :D

great pics mike.... those bow drills are a ton of fun.....:thumbup:

these pics were taken from the maker's site...my ring is the bigger one... and my wife's ring is the squared one with the diamonds.....

rings.jpg

rings2.jpg

mike

The Fireboard is maple, as is the spindle. I've used cedar, but I think I get a better coal with the maple.

Total time drilling.. About 60 seconds.

Whoooo HOOOOO!
That's the answer I want to hear.

I have maple right out my door (Box elder).
60 seconds, now we are talking. Heck, even 5 minutes is fine.

I'll try it.

Here is a scan of my fireboards and spindles from my bow drill kit. The scanner is weak on showing details, but you can see the depth of the notches, and the length and diameter of the different spindles. The deer legbone has wooden inserts in the ends.

Codger

Back