HF Belt sander

Orv

Hi guys, I've done lots of searches, and I want to get a recommendation for belts to use in the 1x30 sander. Also the stropping compound would be great

Also, with normal edc knives, would it be ok just to regularly strop my knives on the 1x30 to keep them sharp?

I'm going to start by sharpening all of my kitchen tools and garden tools. Hopefully I will become confident enough to try it on a good knife

The HF 1x30 is a fine machine that has worked well for me. I have many belts but have settled in with this sequence for sharpening: 320 or 400 then I go to 600 or 800 then I use a Surgi Sharp leather belt with the white compound that came with it. This gives me shaving sharp edges that I am very happy with. For touch ups it depends on the steel and condition of the edge. I may try to raise a tiny burr with a few passes on the 6 or 8 hundred belt then strop. I have belts up to 3000 that I never use because I prefer the toothier edge I get from stropping after 600 or 800.

EDIT:
To help keep my angle consistent I cut out two 2.5" triangles from a cereal box and marked the angle on them. One at 20 degrees and one at 25 degrees.
With the sander off you can hold the blade up to the belt with your angle to get a mental image of where you should be. Then do a few dry passes until you are comfortable.
Once you sharpen a small pile of knives you wont need them any more.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Orv

Google "Jerry Hossom" - if something comes up, click on "Sharpening My Way".

Mr. Hossom got HF 1X30 belt sharpening going years ago.

Hope this helps

Rupert

I've definitely been using mine for sharpening. Works wonderfully.

It certainly isn't ideal, but I use an old worn out 120 grit belt (worn so it doesn't grind the platen) and turn it inside out. I put green compound on the belt and it does an excellent job of polishing my bevel. I wouldn't recommend doing it because I don't know how well it would work for anyone else, but with my belt, on my machine, it works great.

Google 1x30 MX belts, look for Micro surface belts. I have been using the MX belts and really like the finish they provide. I have 320-1200x if memory serves me. Haven't used them in a bit now. I also have some leather belts that I run the Bark River green and white compounds on. I just got some CBN .5 micron spray to try on another belt but haven't given that a spin yet. I run my HF belt sanders laying flat. I made some wood frames to mount the motors to so it doesn't affect the tension knob when you lay them down.

Last edited:
I've been using this belt sander for two years now. It's been Ok. I wish I went to a 1x42 first because now I want a better belt sander a kalamazoo, and I have all these 1x30 belts.
I have two leather belts loaded with different stropman.com compounds. I like them but I eventually went the way of the paper wheels. After sharpening on the belt sander I use the polishing wheel to get rid of the burr. Works really well!
As far as belts, I have up to 12,000 grit. A waste in my opinion. I can do just as good with 80,220, 600 and 1,000. If you're careful with grit progression, you can get that mirror polish if you want.

I like them but I eventually went the way of the paper wheels. .

I went to the paper wheels too for most stuff. Still going to do axes and hatchets on the belt sanders though. Nothing like handing a hatchet back to someone who can see their refelction on the bevel and having them stare in wonder at it.

Back