HI Chiruwa AK pics

Howdy! I found an old weather oak windfall and set about chopping on it with my khuk. I also used another chopper on the same log but those pics are elsewhere in this forum. The blade performed as expected and maintained an excellent edge, but the handle shredded my pinky. I suppose if I did real work for a living rather than being a keyboard commando this wouldn't be an issue.

cakvoak1.jpg

cakvoak2.jpg

cakvoak3.jpg

looks like the horn around the buttcap has shrunk which in my world will always occur due to my cool, dry climate.

use a belt grinder to grind off the excess buttcap, just be aware that the surrounding horn will get scratched up.

looks like the horn around the buttcap has shrunk which in my world will always occur due to my cool, dry climate.

use a belt grinder to grind off the excess buttcap, just be aware that the surrounding horn will get scratched up.

belt grinder might be a bit aggressive :) a little hammer and tapping the edges rounder, and then some rough to fine to 2000 grit sandpaper does the trick for me.

one could also fill the gap carefully with expoxy or super-glue gel, then sand as above.

for a working knife, i actually like a bit of roughness on the horn, that mirror polish can be slippery, so after making it smooth again, a bit of 00 or 0 steel wool to add some texture.

mind the pinky placement on the ring too - give that a wee sand to smooth it out, but don't remove it! :) yet :) andy will tell you to nail that sucker as history :) i keep thinking i should actually put a GROOVE where the ring is, so you can drop a big thick rubber gasket as a nu-ring around it :) the silicone variety can be clear too, and very comfy (as on tech flashlights), removable if desired.

bladite

Good pictures, thank you

Back