1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

HI Friendship knife - review

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by hunglvq, Sep 17, 2010.

1. hunglvq

hunglvq

Jun 8, 2008
    Been receiving this knife from Auntie for a while but only until last weekend that I could take this knife out for some chops.

Actually, I was surprise to see Tirtha treatment at first. He mixed and matched both the H’mong and the Khukuri together, leaning more on the khukuri side with a bulky peak. Strange as it looks, when I took it out for a chop, I see Tirtha is totally right doing so.

[​IMG]

Quenching was perfectly done at file-skid hardness along the edge. The hardened area is long starting 2 & ½” from tip to 2” from guard.

[​IMG]

The forward balance together with the flat bevel is a great combination. It bites wood like crazy. I tried with the same force for the chop, the Friendship knife created a deeper bite than my 37 oz 18” Rajkumar M-43. Though this is a flat grind, it’s not weak at all. 1/2” from the cutting edge, blade thickness is 3/16”.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides supporting the handle and for decoration purposes, the brass rings also create nice “ridgy” feeling on the hand when chopping. When I received this knife, the wooden scabbard and horn handle shrink and let loose the brass rings. I filled them up with super glue and they stick.

The scabbard is another point of interest for this knife. Seems that this is the only design I’ve seen which has a wood & brass scabbard.

[​IMG]

The only problem I have with this knife, also with most of the HI blade is the big sized handle. I’m thinking of shaving it down. Another interesting project to come…

Main specs:
    OAL: 16 & ½”
    BL: 10 & ¾”
    HL: 5 & ¾”
    Spine thickness: 13/32”
    Blade weight (excl scabbard): ~25 oz
    Kami: Tirtha

[​IMG]

2. oldschool45

oldschool45

Oct 15, 2007
    hunglvq, nice knife, review and insight:thumbup: How well do you think this would work on light brush?
    Side note, am I the only one who thinks ancient Egypt when they see this blade?

3. DanSmithy

DanSmithy

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks for the good review.
    just missing the spine comparison shot :D

Another proof that light blade can excel at chopping...when done right.

4. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    Been really enjoying mine for sure and am happy you brought these to us Hung. Mine is a villager so it was a bit less attractive than yours, for instance the scabbard brass rings fall off even after I super glued them. The handle rings though are solid as a rock so the scabbard doesn't bother me. I agree that the rings add a nice feel to the handle and make things a lot nicer when trying to hold on to this monster when using it. Over all I think this is one of the nicer of the "New Big Blades" that HI has come out with and for sure Tirtha Kami is on a roll when it comes to producing great blades. IMO, he is on par with any of he old time kamis with maybe the exception of Bura.

Old School, I thought Vietnam the minute I go the blade. Would love to know what says Egypt to you about it. Also, the handle is just the right size for my hands diameter-wise so I won't be shaving anything down. This is actually one of the more comfortable blades I have gotten to date from HI. Sometimes I just walk around the house with it and pretend I am Warty of the Jungle... :D

5. hunglvq

hunglvq

Jun 8, 2008
    Warty,

Mine is also a villager finish. I did some touch up to the blade with sand paper. :p

6. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    You still have smaller hands than I do. :p :D

7. hunglvq

hunglvq

Jun 8, 2008
    i havent tried yet but as per my feel, it would be like using an axe for the bush. The head is heavy and the blade is short :D

8. oldschool45

oldschool45

Oct 15, 2007
    Warty, the brass bands, the shape of the blade, the black of the horn handle, the guard and lack of a cho all scream "this is something I would expect to find in a pharo's tomb" in my mind.

hunglvq, without a good spine shot I just think it is thinner than it actually is. If that blade were as thin as my minds wants it to be it would be a down right viscous combat blade.

9. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great review and Pix, thank you Hung

10. ElSitherino

ElSitherino

Jul 27, 2010
    I thought the same thing when I first saw the handle on one, it looks exactly like some Pharaoh scepters and a few recovered ceremonial knives I've seen.

Those are some beautiful knives you got there, Hung. Good luck taking that handle down, let us know how it goes.

11. hunglvq

hunglvq

Jun 8, 2008
    Actually my blade in these pix has already adjusted.

Warty, lets compare the blade part near the guard. I shaved down the topline to align it with handle's topline. Same for bottom line, i shaved it up to align with handle's bottomline for a smoother transition in the look.

Elsitherino, i worked on the handle once and confident with that

12. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    I can post some pix of mine tomorrow. Too dark now for me to do it today. OK?

13. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    right, well here is mine and in the interest of friendship, I used my metric scale for these pix. The edge of the scale is where it begins measuring... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my "art" picture. :D
    [​IMG]

sorry folks, not in a very talkative mood right now. I twisted wrong or something unloading my groceries and now I am messed up again. Post your questions if you have them but try to work out the dimensions from the pix or I can't see the point of putting the scales in there anymore. TTYAL

14. hunglvq

hunglvq

Jun 8, 2008
    Thanks for your picture Warty.

I just disassembled mine this afternoon for shaving down some handle. I was surprised to see the tang. It's a crazy tang with almost 1/2 width of the blade.

Will have pix for you guys soon.