HI Katar is all business.

Just got it this afternoon. Bura did it exactly to specs and did not miss a single detail. Absolutely excellent. Incredibly, the sarkis did a good job too, with kothimoda style leather and even a button-down keeper.

I put on some welders' gloves and repeatedly smashed it into some palm trees and firewood. Bura left the very tip of the blade soft (possibly to avoid cracking during hardening) and my deliberately too thin design combined with that to produce an easily bent primary quarter inch of blade. 5 seconds on the grinder took off the first too soft, too thin part and got down to the hard steel beneath. It's still sharper than hell but now you can smash it into anything with no ill effects on the blade.

Bolts loosened up as a result of testing so I will get it welded ASAP.

Overall, though, this thing totally kicks ass. You do not want to get in the way of an HI katar and an overhand right.

I am totally in love with this katar.

postscript: Today would have been perfect if not for news of US fatalities in Afghanistan. God bless our soldiers and may He show no mercy to our enemies.

-David

Many thanks for another report from the field. Once the blade gets welded I think that Katar will be here to stay.

Mick Strider has been running a post on his forum titled Warning! Lots of bad words, thoughts, and images.

It without mentioning the katar elucidates the purpose of the katar's design and use in a relatively bloodcurdling way.

( Just remember that the khukuri isn't addressed. If you remember that, he makes frightful sense. )

Watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom last night and I'm pretty sure the indian bad guys pull out katars at one point when they are in the mines below the palace of Pangcot. If they're not katars they sure look like em.

Just read the thread Rusty mentioned--very interesting, and scary!

Rusty, I don't understand what you mean by stabbing with the khuk. DO you mean swinging as we normally would and whipping the point into the target, or actually stabbing with it. When you say "hammer grip" does that refer to the (for lack of a better term) "Psycho" style overhand stabbing motion? Thanks in advance for clarification for absolute knife-fighting novice:)

I mean using it in the same manner as a hammer and focusing all the power on driving the tip into the target same as you would a nail. I mentioned this in relation to the 18th century and others that seem to be made to use in this fashion, i.e. smashing thru resistance.

I mean using it in the same manner as a hammer and focusing all the power on driving the tip into the target same as you would a nail. I mentioned this in relation to the 18th century and others that seem to be made to use in this fashion, i.e. smashing thru resistance

Ok, thanks. That's what I figured:) Yeah, now that you mention those very forward curving khuks I can really see what you mean. That would cause some SERIOUS damage---deep puncture and downward cutting force would seem to lead to a HUGE wound channel= lots of trauma and blood loss, not to mention the impact would be tremendous and add to shock value.

Dave - can we get some more photos? That might stimulate interest. I was also curious about the blade-shape - is it fullered or flat or 'v-ed'? I think fullers are nice personally.

I can post some pix for you if you have any.

B,

Originally posted by Dave K
Just got it this afternoon. Bura did it exactly to specs and did not miss a single detail. Absolutely excellent. Incredibly, the sarkis did a good job too, with kothimoda style leather and even a button-down keeper.

Overall, though, this thing totally kicks ass. You do not want to get in the way of an HI katar and an overhand right.

I am totally in love with this katar.

-David

Dawi I am so absolutely tickled that you finally got your Katar and that you Love her so!!!!
Your description of it reminds me very much of the bitchiness of my 3rd wife and her wanton destrution.:eek:

Remember that I told you long ago that you had the talent needed to make your dream come true by making a model.
I am very pleased that you now have proven that to yourself.
I always knew you had what it took.:)

And now that you've proven it to yourself it may make a difference in the next knife decision you come to.
Still lookin forward to forgeing with you whenever we make it to Phoenix again.

Thank you for kind words, Yvsa. And, uh, I hope that my katar reminds of your third wife in a _good_ way.:eek:

The katar is a diamond grind which I thought would be best for stabbing even though it would have been easier for me just to put a fuller in a thin piece of wood with the belt sander.

I'll try and take some more pix after I get it welded up to show what it looks like in its final form. Gotta sharpen it some more too.

Maybe if we call it the HI Kareena, and include pix of the real Kareena with every order it will generate more interest. ;) I also wonder if people might prefer a more conservatively-sized 15 incher instead of my two foot version.

So whaddaya say, Uncle Bill, is the HI Kareena Katar a good name?

-Dave

Oh, also, as a postcript, Uncle Bill told me today that my earlier comments were "spoken like a true Moslem." So, I'll take them back and just say, "leave God out of it, let's just kill all the ****ing arabs."

Originally posted by Dave K
"leave God out of it, let's just kill all the ****ing arabs."

I guess that includes my best friend of 19 years, plus his family. Shall I send their heads to you, Dave?

S.

Originally posted by spence

I guess that includes my best friend of 19 years, plus his family. Shall I send their heads to you, Dave?

S.

I have to echo Spence's sentiment here. Even if one of my closest friends weren't an Arab (who managed to survive Kuwait during the invasion), such misplaced animosity is what starts these sorts of atrocities in the first place. I would imagine that some of bin Laden's 'Arabs' made similar statements: 'Leave Allah out of it and let's kill all of the ****ing Americans who think they run the world'....

Recommended reading: All Quiet on the Western Front.

B.

I would order aone, maybe one smaller and more managable than that monster IF I can figure out how to get it past Malaysian Customs...

Andrew Limsk

Originally posted by Bill Martino
The phone has not been ringing off the hook with katar orders.

Back