1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

HI Parang

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by bennyjenkins, Aug 13, 2010.

1. bennyjenkins

bennyjenkins

Dec 18, 2006
    Awhile back, I sent Aunt Yangdu a picture of a parang and asked if the kamis could make one like it. Political problems and the loss of some key kamis had put the project on the back burner for awhile, but the parang is finally here and I have had a couple of good, multi-day camping trips to give it a thourogh going over. I apologize for the lack of pictures, stinkin camera pooped out on me:mad: Refer to the pics Yangdu posted. They are better than anything I can do anyway:eek:

The parang is 18 inches OAL and weighs in right at 1.5 lbs. The horn handle has wide gentle finger grooves toward the bottom and the last groove accomodates my last two fingers in a way that is similar to the bell of a khuk handle, allowing you to maintain control at maximum reach. The spine starts at a thickness of 1/8 in at the base and flares out to near 3/16 in at the sweet spot, before tapering back down to the point.
    The balance is pretty forward, and though I wouldn't exactly describe it as "agile" it's definately not cumbersome or awkward. It feels more like a well built tool than a weapon. A little over 1.5 inches of steel is left unsharpend at the base of the edge which allows you to choke up for finer work.
    This parang is a camper's dream tool. It chops firewood as easily as it slices zucchini and butterflies a pork chop. Dice and oinion? No problem. It made quick work of roughing out a vine maple bow stave, shaves down hotdog sticks with ease, and is just about the perfect watermelon knife. Although it excels at finer work, where this baby shines is making the chips fly:thumbup: It just seems like it wants to chop into whatever is nearest it. Even dead cedar knots don't stand a chance.
    The HI parang is a must have for any collection. It's immediately gone to the top of the list of my favorite users. And just when I thought I had my HIKV under control.........:p Eternal thanks to Yangdu and the kamis for the wonderful blades they make possible!

2. kukulza28

kukulza28

Oct 11, 2008
    Parangs are good tools (and weapons). Kukris are good, and I know this is a Kukri-lovin' forum, but they are just one of the many big blades around the world that are good for both work and war. Glad you like yours! :thumbup:

3. HighDesertWalker

HighDesertWalker

Mar 11, 2008
    Where can I find Yangdu's pics of the HI parang. I'd love to have a look. HI seems to be able to make any large work/war blade as well as anyone else out there. I've got a HI bowie that Mr. Jim himself would have appreciated.

P.S. Never mind. Did a search and found the post. Very nice looking blade. :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  4. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
  5. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great review, thank you bennyjienkins
    The HI Parng shipments from Nepal is in the air:) stay tuned

6. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Count me tuned in! :thumbup:

We have price range?

7. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Thanks for the impressions ...looks mighty interesting and at 1.5pounds is half the weight of the HI Indonesian sword.

Fingers crossed that the grip's circumference is not too large for smaller hands. :eek:

8. bennyjenkins

bennyjenkins

Dec 18, 2006
    Grips are just fine for smaller hands. I'm a member of the club;)