HI Seax pics [56k warning]

Here's the Seax from the knife Clearance sale on 1/25. I was surprised by how big it was when I took it out for the first time. I suppose 14" just didn't register in non-khuk terms.
seax_full.jpg

The handle was fairly large. Gave the knife a solid feel but it was too much circumference for my hands. Took it down a bit and now it's great.
seax_hand.jpg

The spine is quite narrow for an HI blade. Again, comparing it to khukris isn't exactly the best way, but it's what I'm used to. The spine measures about 3/16" thick, which is around the same as my Sarge knife. It gives the seax a nice thin profile at the edge, but plenty of strength so I don't have to baby it :D .
seax_spine.jpg

The balance point is right under Kumar's kami mark, which is where the cho would be if it had one. It feels quick in the hand, but with enough weight to lay into something if needed. But this isn't a chopping knife, and the balance suits the tool/fighter profile very well.
seax_balance.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the knife, and I think it was well designed and executed, excepting the sheath, of course. The seax fell out the first night I had it and the butt got dinged on some asphalt. When the blade slid out it slit the little button-tab of leather which was supposed to be holding the knife in place :rolleyes: . So I need a new sheath, but the seax itself is top-notch! Excellent work by Kumar, and I'm grateful it has come home with me.

-Tycho-

Nice review, nice images, nice knife.

One of those designs which prompts immediate attention--and respect.

That's a great looking Seax ya got there:thumbup: I really like that the kamis have seemed to make even the seax bolsters a bit more traditional (yeah yeah, I know real seax don't have bolsters. blah blah blah) Kumar must really enjoy doing them. i have one by him that I adore. I bet if i went back and looked at my post the ones trumpeting the seax would almost match those preaching about the AK bowie...almost;)
You'd be surprised how well the seax chops. It's not anywhere close to a khuk, but it will really tear through stuff. The weight of the knife really helps. My seax has become my kitchen knife. whole meals have been prepped with just that blade. It's also handy to have if zombies or viking-ninjas attack while I'm cooking (have you ever seen a viking-ninja? They're freaking huge!:eek: )
When out in the woods for the day I like to follow "Steely's 'S' cubed rule of cutlery". 3 blades that could get me through a day and night with no problems what so ever. A sak (usually a vic farmer or 110mm fireman for their saws), a Sarge/KPH (actually, in my case it is a Corporal that lives in my boot. Sounds degrading, but I love my boots and I love this knife. I never leave home with out either), and a Seax (as I said before, it slices/dices/pokes holes in critters both 2 legged and 4). I won't need to chop or spit or build an 8'X8' log cabin.

OK, seax babble off;)

Jake

thanks for the pics! I now have a much better feeling for the actual size of this knife.

As Uncle Bill said many times, "Many thanks for the report from the field."

Thank you,
Steve

Nice Seax. You got that one the day before I got mine. Both Neem. Both Kumar. Sweet. I really love mine. I had to reshape the handle, then make a new sheath. Check out the new sheath design on my HI Seax thread. It really makes it a good carry knife. I agree with Jake here in that this knife is a dream to carry. Right now I'm keeping mine in my truck. That may change soon though, I tend to rotate knives in and out of there. You take better pics than I do. I'm really lacking in pic taking skill. Sweet review. Thanks.

Andy, I saw your sheath...nice work! I have some ideas but it's basically going to look like yours but with horizontal loops instead of vertical. I'm hooked on the horizontal carry, at least for this knife. My biggest concern is wet-forming and getting the blade to stay in place when I'm moving around.

As for picture skill, get yourself a cheap tripod. It helps so much it isn't funny.

I reeeeeaaaaallly like this knife. Kumar did a great job. I'm impressed with his work in general, but like Steely said he must love making these things. I wonder if we'll see some by the new kamis?

-Tycho-

Back