High end steels INFI, S30V, VG10, San Mai???

I would love to purchase a 6" high end knife for camping. I have done research (a lot of it) but I am not a professional. Here is my dilemma, and I hope you guys can help.

1. Which is better in terms of
a. edge retainablity
b. ease of sharpening
c. lack of chipping
d. ease of maintenance
of the following steels.... S30V (Bos), INFI (Busse), laminated VG10 (Fallkniven), A-2 (Scagel), San Mai III (cold steel) [[[san mai is 420 wrapped VG1 for the record]]]

2. Your opinion: would you prefer a Fallkniven NL3, cold steel SRK, Scagel medium bowie, or a Busse of 6-7''s ? I am personally between the Fallkniven and the Busse and I just can't choose.

Thank you very much for you help and time!

not so much to answer all your questions, but the current busse production knife fits your criteria and you can't go wrong with them.

I'd put in an order for the boss jack while you still can, just on the chance it is the right one for you.

If you don't like it, you'll make your money back.

not so much to answer all your questions, but the current busse production knife fits your criteria and you can't go wrong with them.

I'd put in an order for the boss jack while you still can, just on the chance it is the right one for you.

If you don't like it, you'll make your money back.

Indeed.

a. edge retainablity - INFI
b. ease of sharpening - VG10
c. lack of chipping- INFI
d. ease of maintenance - don't know exactly what you mean since edge retention was already covered. Stain resistance? I think all you listed are stainless except INFI. INFI is supposed to be really stain resistant as well although not officially stainless. Mine are all coated I never had a satin, so I can't help too much.

By the way I think I may sell my 6 inch tank buster because I bought some 6 inch regulators made of SR-101. So if you looked into Busse you should look into the rest of the Buss-kin too (SYKO and SwampRat).

Oh and if price were of no importance I would go with the INFI. But the regulators were 80 dollars and the tank buster was 300.

Infi will be ahead in all of those categories. I have had a user satin infi for about 2 years now and have never needed to sharpen it. Strop it a few times and I think it gets sharper then when I first got it. Satin infi could almost be considered stainless steel but its not. You can leave your knife outside you summer cabin and go back to the city or what ever and come back next year and there will be little if no sign of rust.

Not to mention the lifetime warranty. If it ever does chip send it to the shop and they will have it as good as new.

Fehrman would be my runner up.(cpm 3v)

I recommend getting a Swamp Rat RatManDu, since you can get them new from the factory at this time: http://www.shop.ratknives.com/main.sc.

It's a great knife, and I don't think you would be disappointed. It's closest Busse counterpart is probably the SJTAC, which is about 2x the price. The RMD gives up 1" of blade length over the SJTAC (5.3" vs 6.3").

I would love to purchase a 6" high end knife for camping. I have done research (a lot of it) but I am not a professional. Here is my dilemma, and I hope you guys can help.

a. edge retainablity S30V
b. ease of sharpening A2/Infi
c. lack of chipping BTSOOM
d. ease of maintenance San Mai III / Laminated VG10 / S30V
of the following steels.... S30V (Bos), INFI (Busse), laminated VG10 (Fallkniven), A-2 (Scagel), San Mai III (cold steel) [[[san mai is 420 wrapped VG1 for the record]]]

2. Your opinion: would you prefer a Fallkniven NL3, cold steel SRK, Scagel medium bowie, or a Busse of 6-7''s ? I am personally between the Fallkniven and the Busse and I just can't choose.

Thank you very much for you help and time!

1. See comments above.
2. I don't think anyone can choose for you. I don't think there is a bad option in your list.

Alight...... I just bought the Busse SAR-6. Should be here in a few days/weeks. This wasn't an easy decision, but I mainly based it on this...

1. a youtuber owns a fallkniven and a busse, and the busse retained its edge better.
2. knifetest.com almost could not destroy a busse battle mistress....... wow.

I'm excited... it's the first knife I buy over $100... actually, over $60. I certainly hope it's worth the price!

Alight...... I just bought the Busse SAR-6. Should be here in a few days/weeks. This wasn't an easy decision, but I mainly based it on this...

1. a youtuber owns a fallkniven and a busse, and the busse retained its edge better.
2. knifetest.com almost could not destroy a busse battle mistress....... wow.

I'm excited... it's the first knife I buy over $100... actually, over $60. I certainly hope it's worth the price!

It will be...... it will be :thumbup:

Busse if you can afford it. I'd love to get one of those just to chop down the papaya tree in my backyard for giggles:D.

a. edge retainablity INFI
b. ease of sharpening INFI, just strop
c. lack of chipping INFI, goto knifetest.com to see
d. ease of maintenance INFI

Ok, I love my new SAR-6 and I love INFI!!!! This knife is ridiculous!!!! :D

Busse makes great stuff and I have owned many many of there knives. You wont be dissapointed in there performance.

INFI but I'll add two to the list: CPM 3V and SR-101 (Swamp Rat's proprietary version of 52100).

Unless someone has truly tested these steels with as minimal variables as possible to the point of complete dullness, resharpened the blade and then repeating to get a more accurate sample the performance of the steels will differ from personal use/testing (not trying to discredit any personal testers, I appreciate the effort and reading, but IMO there are to many variables in personal testing compared to a lab and machine test to replicate results as accurate as possible).

IMO if you can afford a busse give it a try, look into swamp rat or scrapyard knives as well. Good quality and most of those knives can be sold on the secondary market if you do not like them.

From what you have listed I would go with Busse since I find them vary appealing followed by the Scagel. INFI has proven itself as have A2 throughout the years as good quality outdoor steels. I cannot comment on the others in these type of knives.

I would go with a Swamp Rat. I like Sr101 and the price.

If not and you don't mind the price tag get a Boss Jack while they are still around.

Back