High Mountain Lake Patrol

Just got back from a backcountry patrol in the Crazy Mountains- a gem of a range dotted w/ lots of alpine lakes and with a lot of those lakes (and drainages) containing trout. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it :)

Here's my load-out for four days- the pack is a Golite Ion (I added lycra mesh pockets) which is only 1700 cu inches- I'm going light!

4dayloadout.jpg

grub

4dayfoodloadout.jpg

pack loaded- w/ food and water (1.5 liters) weighs in at a svelte 14 lbs

loaded.jpg

weight isn't including my work gear- sidearm was belt worn, bino's, paperwork & ID and spare mag in a belt pouch on the pack

workgear.jpg

a few pics of the trip

started up Big Timber CK drainage- rolling pretty good as summer came pretty late this year

bigtimberck.jpg

looking up into the head of Big Timber Ck

totwinlakes.jpg

Upper Twin Lake

uppertwinlake.jpg

on the way up to Conical Peak Pass, looking down at Lower Twin Lake and the Big Timber Ck drainage

lowertwinlakefromabove.jpg

started running into lots of snow as I got higher, which means lots of post holing

postholing.jpg

at the pass, the wind would gust up to 60-70 mph up top- I had to brace myself several times so I would get blown over!

conicalpeakpass.jpg

just as steep on the other side- looking down of Glacier Lake- aptly named as there is ice floating (or solid) in this lake all year- it was really popping and cracking when I was there

glacierlakeabove.jpg

looking down the South Fork of Sweetgrass Ck, the Crazies is home to one of our biggest population of Mountain Goats :)

southforksweetgrassrange.jpg

Moose Lake

mooselake.jpg

home was a tarp poncho

ponchotarp.jpg

mule deer in velvet

muledeer.jpg

got to have a knife photo :D

lunches were dry salami w/ cheddar cheese in mini pita bread

lunch.jpg

my kitchen

coffeebrewing.jpg

I'm sore, but it's a good sore!

Last edited:
Man, I'm so jealous! What do I have to do to get a job like that?!

Ranger, Deputy...?

P.S. Where's the pics of all those high mountain trout?

looks like an amazing job.. and your not kidding your going light. im carrying more ammo than that watching tv in my basement. and im not in the mountians looking for meth labs.. Hahaha..

BE SAFE Brother.

man.. awesome pics...:eek: what a gorgeous area, and to think it was a day at the office for you...:eek: i'm jealous..:)

That sure is beautiful country up there. I haven't visited since the late '90s, so I reckon it's time to plan a trip. Thanks for the inspiration. :thumbup:

XMP

Fantastic pictures. That is a beautiful part of MT. I've driven by many times on my way to the Absarokas, Gallatin Range, or Bitteroots; I'll definitely have to make a stop in there.

The stove looks pretty neat; I'll look forward to the review.

So what does your job entail?
Are you just looking for whatever seems out of the ordinary?
I didnt see communication gear, do you go solo?

Stunning area you work in!

kgd

Fantastic, thanks for sharing! I'm impressed at your self discipline on the 4-d food supply.