Higonokami blade steel?

So I've searched the forums and google, but haven't found anything conclusive on the steel used on higonokami. Most threads end up with no answers: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1294689-Higonokami-question/page2
I have several of this higonokami: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EU8ML46?keywords=higonokami&qid=1452144088&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I have read many conflicting things online. I understand higonaifu may be a variety of steels, but I imagine higonokami are the same or only a few varieties.

Some have said it is aogami blue steel: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGONOKAMI-...g-Pocket-Knife-L-NAGAO-KANEKOMA-/221987419190

Some have said it is shiirogami white steel.

Some have said it is high-carbon SK steel: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Higonokami-...ldaway-knife-Steel-pocket-knife-/201416009212

The ad says Warikomi steel but when I research that, most places say that that is the method of construction or the steel on the outside (not the edge steel). This site give some insight: http://zknives.com/knives/articles/jpnknifecladtypes.shtml

Most places that talk about warikomi steel reference white steel as well, so maybe that is something?

It seems to take a nice edge, is easy to sharpen, and reacts some with vinegar, which seems to match the above.
For the price of the knife, I am fine with whichever steel it is, but it bothers me not knowing. Any confirmation (sources if possible) would be awesome. It is possible that the different handles come with different blade steels as well.

Thanks for the help!

31jBHcs83iL.jpg

They use different steel in their different grades of knives. All three types (SK, blue, white) are used--it just depends on the specific model and where it sits on their price point spectrum.

They use different steel in their different grades of knives. All three types (SK, blue, white) are used--it just depends on the specific model and where it sits on their price point spectrum.

So it would be sk->blue->white?
As the least expensive model mine are most likely sk? Is there a way to tell by the kanji or other factors so that others can ID theirs?

What about the outside layers of the blade? Not that it is important for edge performance, but still interested if there is any more info.

What 42Blades said. There is probably no way to know exactly, without some sort of original paperwork or way to contact the maker Nagao Seisakusho. Another thread here on BF showed the same style of knife, two sizes. One was SK5 (Japanese 1080), the other was Super Blue. The outside layer is probably either mild steel or wrought iron. It could be a number of steels, Blue 1 or 2 or 3, White 1 or 2 or 3, SK5, Super Blue, V2, Yellow 1 or 2, etc.

I have the same concern with a Masamoto HC Petty, they simply state "Virgin Carbon Steel", which I'm pretty sure all that means is the steel wasn't previously used in some other...."thing". And I'm pretty sure it is Takefu V2, sort of like White 2, or W-1 tool steel.

Good luck narrowing down further!

There are subtle differences between their more pedestrian and higher end models, as well. Take note of the way the pivot is done--the more budget models (which are my favorite because of the tremendous value and still excellent performance) have a very simple rivet and washer, while the higher end ones have a fancier rivet and an ornamented washer (radial lines on it.)

That is great. Thank you all for the information.
Somewhat unrelated, but if you were to buy a $50-150 higonaifu/higonokami, what would be your pick?

As the least expensive model mine are most likely sk? Is there a way to tell by the kanji or other factors so that others can ID theirs?

What about the outside layers of the blade? Not that it is important for edge performance, but still interested if there is any more info.
Usually Blue steel will be more expensive then White. They are basically the same except Blue has tungsten and chromium added for better wear resistance.

白紙 (shirogami) sometimes just 白。Shirogami 2 sometimes appears as 白 二
青紙 (aogami) sometimes just 青
割り込み (warikomi)or 割込 means laminated. Sometimes it says 本割込 (honwarikomi)
meaning real/original/authentic warikomi.
I've never seen a Higonokami that used SK5 and had that written on the blade.
My Nagao Kanekoma says 青紙割込 (aogami warikomi)

My higonokami has 本割込 on the blade (honwarikomi). You say that it is unlikely sk5 if it has that on the blade. Would that mean it is more likely white steel?

My higonokami has 本割込 on the blade (honwarikomi). You say that it is unlikely sk5 if it has that on the blade. Would that mean it is more likely white steel?

No, sorry for my poor sentence structure.
What I meant was "I've never seen a Higonokami that used SK5 and had "SK5" written on the blade.

I also have a small black Kanekoma that only has 本割込 on the blade. The other side is blank and has no steel type. But the website I bought
it from had it described as SK5. My guess is yours is exactly like my SK5 one.

No, sorry for my poor sentence structure.
What I meant was "I've never seen a Higonokami that used SK5 and had "SK5" written on the blade.

I also have a small black Kanekoma that only has 本割込 on the blade. The other side is blank and has no steel type. But the website I bought
it from had it described as SK5. My guess is yours is exactly like my SK5 one.

Oh, gotcha. Happy to have some confirmation. Now I can put it in my collection database. Thank you!

Thanks for the explanation, was wondering the same thing... Just had a friend got me a Higonokami and it states SK on the packaging, which is lower priced than those stated 白紙. Have yet to get my hands on it yet as i've only seen the photos my friend showed me....

Chris "Anagarika";15615233 said:
Thank you! I never checked and was under assumption that ao is written 蓝, and not 青.

I learn new thing today:), https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguishing_blue_from_green_in_language

I finally understand why the google translate 青 to blue... I was assuming the same thing as you as 青 is green in chinese... Thanks!

青read Ao is used to mean blue. However, there are idiosyncracies with this character. For example, traffic lights are considered 赤 Aka and 青 Ao but everyone agrees they are red and green, not blue.
This seems to stem from the older usage of 青 as green so that today it can in some situations mean blue (99% of the time) and green (1% of the time).
Under normal daily use today the character for green is 緑 midori, and can only be used to mean green. As in green tea 緑茶。
藍is also blue but rarely if ever used by itself. For example a traditional blue dyed cloth is called 藍染 aizome.

BTW, staying on the knife topic, SK is short for Steel Kougu (工具)ie; "tool steel". And as many know the level of impurities is indicated by the higher number.

What would the it say when it is white paper steel? I have one that is stamped 青紙割込 and yet was advertised as white paper steel on the website.

What would the it say when it is white paper steel? I have one that is stamped 青紙割込 and yet was advertised as white paper steel on the website.

It would say 白紙 (shirogami) or sometimes just 白.
If your knife is stamped 青紙割込 (aogami warikomi) it is blue paper.
The website represented it incorrectly as white paper.

Back