Important Info! ~ Himalayan Imports - Limited Lifetime Warranty ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea Wolf_1989!:thumbup:

I believe much more consideration needs be given to which models qualify as 'choppers' and just as importantly that diversity of the HI product range is maintained.:thumbup:

Right.

Like I posted, this is only based on my observations as far the design itself seems to be, and they do overlap quite a bit.

If I were for example to to take my favorite khukuri - the chitlangi - and break it down it would be:

Handling/agility/speed - 2

Chopping ability - 4

And that's why I rate it a a solid 3 - dead center.

Whereas the power chopper - the Ang Khola - would be more like this:

Handling/agility/speed - 5
Chopping ability - 5

Making it a 5/5 - certainly a powerhouse chopper, not a swift and rapier-like defensive weapon, which is exactly what it was intended to be.

I want to keep this very simple and basic lest it turn into some kinda funky Dungeons&Dragons type equipment guide.

Perfect, Yandu.

And this covers it all:

"All warranties are at the Discretion of Himalayan Imports."

And this covers it all:

The context of my posts are beyond that of warranties.

The history of HI has dictated what models are made especially in regard blade thickness. Try and get a light and thin 'big' HI made blade like the old 17inch Foxy Folly: they don't make them anymore because of a few problems with breakages.

This extends to requests for custom Khuk's where the purchaser wants something thinner than 7/16ths or 3/8ths. :(

Ergo, in the future, to avoid the chance of warranty claims, stop making any other chopper except that with a full chiruwa tang. Bad luck, no more YCS, Berkley Special, Smasher or Boomerang.

I don't see any serious advantage to a full width chiruwa tang except to add more weight to the rear to help balance a longer blade.

Have you ever seen a bare H.I. tang? It starts out about 1/2 the width of the blade (behind the Cho), if not more.

I have an old Camillus "KaBar" whose tang is downright puny compared to an H.I. stick tang. I've used it hard - very hard - for over 20 years and it's still going strong.

I've actually been putting something like that together, rating on a 1 to 5 scale.

1 being "purely weapon".
5 being "pure chopping tool".
3 being equally both.

That's helpful, too; thanks. This is a lot like what I heard when I first came here: that the Ang Khola, for example, is more tool than weapon, the Sirupati is more weapon than tool, and that the military models are in-between. But this expands it to the other models, as well as differentiating among the army khuks a bit more.

What could be worthwhile is a two-category "grid," with the horizontal row being the warranty type, and the vertical column being this, "numerical" rating. That would help a lot of prospective customers make their decision, I'll bet.

b.c.molin said:
I can not believe that the Berkley Special, YCS, Smasher, and Boomerang Khuks are not 'heavy duty' usage products.
What what about the Chitlangi? Or the new Yeti Hunter?
Less haste, more consideration please?
Cybrok said:
Are HI swords inspired by filipino blades covered for field use? (Bolo, Himalayan Import Sword)
Or that recent knife nepal people used to chop trees?
Are HI knives suitable for bushcraft?

I may be wrong here, but the items not on the "field use" list would probably fall under the "general usage" category,for now at least. At any rate, it's all up to Yangdu. I think this is, as said before, Yangdu being able to protect H.I. and not much has changed really.
If you take care of your tools and arent abusing them, then there is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Ergo, in the future, to avoid the chance of warranty claims, stop making any other chopper except that with a full chiruwa tang. Bad luck, no more YCS, Berkley Special, Smasher or Boomerang.

I agree with that. I would only buy a khukuri with full tang myself.

b.c.molin said:
And it could lead to the homogenization of the HI Khukuri model lineup to only a very limited Chiruwa based model range for the choice of choppers.
b.c.molin said:
I think this is taking things a bit far out of context. I hardly think it will lead to a homogenization of the lineup or that H.I. would stop making any other chopper than a Churwa. What it will do definately though is make people responsible for the proper use of their khukuri and possibly respect them more. C'mon you guys know how well each and every one is built!

Has anybody actually compared the amount of metal in a stick tang vs. a Chiruwa tang?

I've got two stick tang models (BAS and Ganga Ram) and two chiruwas (Yeti Hunter and Dui Chirra.)

The Ganga Ram came with no handle, and I took the BAS apart to reglue it, so I've gotten a good look at both stick tangs.

It seemed to me that both stick tangs were much thicker when viewed from the spine than either of my chiruwa tangs, so I wonder if some people are overestimating difference in strength between tang types.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd guess that a Chiruwa tang is somewhat stronger than a stick tang. That being said, HI stick tangs are thick and wide--more so than the blades on many knives that are routinely considered "hard use" tools. I find it hard to believe that a properly made khuk of either style would have any difficulty with any task that's not considered abuse.

One point I'd add is that this is the warranty (which I happen to like). So if I use my siru to chop up a log and mess up the blade, I won't expect Aunty Yangdu to warranty the damage. Hopefully, if I'm ever forced to something that extreme, the sacrifice of the knife will be worth it.

My 0.002 cents,

F

One point I'd add is that this is the warranty (which I happen to like). So if I use my siru to chop up a log and mess up the blade, I won't expect Aunty Yangdu to warranty the damage. Hopefully, if I'm ever forced to something that extreme, the sacrifice of the knife will be worth it.

My 0.002 cents,

F

Not sure exactly what you mean ,fearn. it's at the very top of the page.
the rest is pretty much self-explanatory
If you use your siru to chop up a log, you have used a general use item for field use.

Yangdu said:
From today we will send all HI customers the New Limited Lifetime Warranty with their Knife/Sword purchase.

Yangdu said:
The following models are warranted for "Field Use"

Yangdu said:
All other models made by Himalayan Imports should be considered for General Use only

Hi Karda,

It's a general response to questions about using various models. The point is it's a warranty. Everyone's free to cut cars apart with their khuks, so long as they don't expect a free blade replacement afterwards.

That said, I do have a more serious question about the warranty:

WHAT ABOUT GIFTS?

I've given Hi khukuris as presents. If one of them breaks under normal and proper use, do I have to send it back for the warranty to be effective?

F

WHAT ABOUT GIFTS?
I've given Hi khukuris as presents. If one of them breaks under normal and proper use, do I have to send it back for the warranty to be effective?
F
I would assume so, but that question would best be addressed to/by Yangdu, as she is the one who carries the warrantee.

According to the warrantee, they are only warranteed to the original owner and must be sent back to Yangdu for inspection before any warrantee replacement is honored. After that it is up to her. I'm sure there will be fair and amicable resolutions to any issue.

The New Limited Lifetime Warrantee Has been Installed into the H.I. Website's Main Page.
Thank You, Beoram!!!

Last edited:
the Samsher seems like a field grade chopper, no?

Bladite

Isn't the question here one of use, not one of warranty?

I mean, I may certainly use a sirupati to baton down some wood. As Cody Lundeen demonstrates, you can baton down a willow with a 4" fixed blade knife. However, if the sirupati broke because while I was trying to chop down an oak with it, I couldn't get a refund or free replacement.

That's one part. The second part is that if I want said sirupati to last 50 years, I shouldn't regularly use it for heavy wood chopping.

To me, these are both fair. Auntie Yangdu shouldn't have to pay for anything extreme I do, only for mistakes that the kamis made in manufacturing the blade.

Don't know why it took so long for me to think to ask, but would a Giant Chitlangi Bowie also be considered suitable for field use? I know they're fairly rare and would be expensive to replace if needed, but at 1/2" thick, and with the AK Bowie on the list, plus the fact that I don't think a Giant will ever break, they might deserve a place on the field use list.

are knives bought under the old warranty grandfathered in as exceptions or is this a blanket system??

not that im worried about my little 18in ak failin or nutthin'!!

thanx guyz i know you all hate this repeated squalking,,,,

are knives bought under the old warranty grandfathered in as exceptions or is this a blanket system??

not that im worried about my little 18in ak failin or nutthin'!!

thanx guyz i know you all hate this repeated squalking,,,,

Yangdu will always make the absolute final judgment, but I would assume that they wouldn't be. This is not a warranty change due to change up in how the khuks are constructed. To be quite honest, I am seeing some of the best/most substantial work to come out of the shop right now. Some of the most bombproof khuks I own are from the last couple of years. The warranty was changed to reflect the behavior of buyers trying to exploit the system by purposely breaking a blade in order to get a new one. Honestly, this sort of thing was happening before Uncle Bill passed away, but I really believe he and Yangdu just didn't have the time or energy to nail down a new warranty in his condition:(

If anything ever happens to your AK, just send Yangdu an honest email explaining when you bought it, if you bought it new, and what you were doing when it failed on you. In the end, this warranty is in place to protect Yangdu from crooks and people who would try and cheat her (thus taking food out of the kami's mouths) not to punish good customers. When in doubt, contact Yangdu. It need not be said that she'll treat the situation with the utmost fairness:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back