Hinderer black coating Vs working finish

I’m looking at my first Hinderer and I’m really drawn to one with with a black coated blade and frame , how does the coating hold up over time and is it worth the extra money vs the working finish . The knife would be a user FYI

IMO, the working finish actually scratches pretty easy. The DLC (Battle Black, Stonewashed DLC, flat DLC) doesn't scratch easy at all. The "new" Stonewashed DLC he's been doing is awesome. It' wipes clean easily because it's smooth (like regular Stonewashed), unlike the matte finish of Battle Black, DLC, and Working Finishes that hold debris in the finish.

The SW DLC looks oddly bright in this video (it is shiny), but Whitty did a good job of describing all the finishes:

Stonewash DLC is the way to go! Took this picture just for ya! Mines seen some usage but it cleans right up if I wanted it too.
bRbsQTz.jpg

Battle bronze or battle blue looks beautiful. Plain stonewash is not bad either. Never tried black DLC so no comment on it.

I’m going with the black coated one , gotta sell some knives , not on here( even tho it would be easier )cause I’m not a gold member

From my experience the stonewashed is the best. Mine has a few scratches and you can barely see them. Black stonewashed is even better, admittedly I don't use that knife as often.

v3rEHePh.jpg

xiNVKdCh.jpg

Last edited:
I also only have the SW/DLC one. It has been holding up great so far. I bought it used and have used it everyday for a week so far. It hasn't shown any marks or scratches yet when I use it. The only thing it does show is what I assume is oil marks from me handling the blade. And I can take those off with just a cloth.
View attachment 1246653 View attachment 1246654

I bought the battle blackwash , no choil skinny slicer.

FYI if any one wants to buy a like new turquoise Stone washed mictrotech utx 85 with a mirror polished edged its yours for 200

So the battle black is dlc'd then tumbled. It's the equivalent to ZT's blackwash, correct?

Last edited:
So the battle black is dlc'd then tumbled. It's the equivalent to ZT's blackwash, correct?
That's my understanding. I really really like the Battle Black, but the SW DLC is definitely easier to wipe clean.

Does Whitty have it correct in that video that the SW DLC is stonewashed first, not after the DLC is applied? I thought DLC always resulted in a flat black, which would then need to be stonewashed. For example, isn't the PM2 just a shiny satin blade before it's DLC is applied which results in a flat black?

Regardless, you're going to love it. Maybe it's just the lack of regular DLC by Hinderer Lately, but I'm really hoping for a regular DLC Sheepy Skinny 3.5 (no choil @Jordan@DLT, if I get all three wishes :) ).

Yeah, Whitty did a really good vid(all of them are;) ).

Dlc-like Spyderco is a satin blade that gets dlc put into it.

Battle black-dlc is applied to it, then it is tumbled/stonewashed. So it's black, bit has little tiny shiny spots over it. It a mixture of the dlc and steel showing through.

Stonewashed dlc- it is stonewashed first, then sent to have dlc put on it. So it looks kind of like battle back, except all of those shiny silver spots from the blade are actually black as well. Just a shiny black.

So if you were to polish the blade to a mirror reflective polish(like rockstead knives) and send it to get dlc'd, you would have an all black mirror polished blade.
EDIT: I had that last part backwards. To achieve polished dlc blade, you dlc it first, then polish the blade with the dlc already on it.

Last edited:
Back