Hinderer gen 6 pivot system

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by quesoburgesa, Jan 28, 2020.

Which system do you prefer?

1. Nylon

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Phosphor bronze

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Ball bearings

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. quesoburgesa

quesoburgesa

Jul 29, 2019
    Do you prefer nylon, PB, or bearings? Why?

2. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Bronze washers!
    Simple,reliable and easy to maintain.

stjones likes this.
  3. KAEDC

KAEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I have kept mine of the bearings since my needs don't necessitate the strengths of washers. But I have had zero problems with the Teflon washers that my older Hinderers have. I think I might try to swap my Vintage Series XM-18 to PB since I think it's more appropriate.

4. Mistman68

Mistman68 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Most on bearings, I put one on Teflon, it works great for thumb stud use, less so as flipper which is what I was after. I put the bronze ones in and I couldn't open it one handed, just too tight so I didn't even bother trying with any of the others. I've tried replacing them on a 3" but both teflon and bronze were too tight for me.

5. rpttrsn

rpttrsn

Nov 1, 2006
    I would prefer Bronze washers if they are done right. Bearings seem to operate smoother on flippers for me.

6. Twinsdad

Twinsdad Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I like both. Right now I have a mp-1 on Teflon and I love the way it closes. I also have a skinny 3.5 I just picked up and the bearings are definitely top notch and the gen 6 detent on mine is absolutely how a flipper detent should be imo.

7. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I run an washers on my HalfTrack Gen.2
    It is one of my best flippers and I don’t feel the need of the more « robust » pivot system on this size of knife

i have had an XM-18 3.5 with the tri-way system and I have not been convinced
    It was intended to be a user but the action was good only on bearings and IMO not acceptable for the price I paid on the other systems

Disclaimer: Please note that is only based on my experience on one particular model !

I got a second hand non-flipper XM-18 gen.4 on PB washers and it is great

i think my conclusion would be that the pivot system is good, but I am not a fan of the flipper on the XM-18 :)

marrenmiller and sharp_edge like this.
  8. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I can echo. I also have a tri-way xm-18 that has great action with ball bearings but just so-so on PB washers. Maybe it needs more tuning IDK. Never tried teflon washers on it yet.

Therom likes this.
  9. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    That is my experience with the XM-18 tri-way system, too. I had three, and they only flipped worth a damn if you installed bearings, which feels contrary to the idea of owning a Hinderer in the first place.

sharp_edge and Therom like this.
  10. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    The PB washers work better on some models than others. I stopped fiddling and just leave the bearings in, which are fine for my uses currently. Overall, I do prefer perfectly tuned PB washers when possible.

Therom likes this.