Hinderer XM18 vertical movement?

First of all: I really like my XM18. It's an awesome workhorse of a knife.

I've had a knife of a different brand close on me while using it due to the framelock slipping.
Nice cut in my finger with a scar to remind me of it.

Since then, I've gotten into the habit of testing every knife I carry on vertical bladeplay/lockslip.
While some knives lock up completely solid (like my Shiro, Grimsmo, Koenig...), my Hinderer, amongst some others, has the slightest amount of up-down movement when I apply medium-hard pressure to the spine of the blade.

That's holding it in my hand and - for lack of better explanation - trying to close it without disengaging the lock.

It feels as if the stop pin disengages the frame of the knife ever so slightly.

I thought this might be caused due to using the knife quite a bit.

However, I recently ordered another XM18 (different finish and bladeshape, you guys understand...). It has exactly the same feeling.

I'm wondering if anyone else with a Hinderer experiences the same thing?
Is this something common in the XM18's?

The lockup feels solid, I can't close the knife with the lock engaged.

I've had (1) Gen 4 xm18 I had to send back to the factory for them to tweak the lockface for a solid lockup. Once it came back I've had no issues.

I currently own (9) xm18 gen4/5/6 in both 3 and 3.5" and those are all solid lockups.

What gens are you having issue with?

I've had (1) Gen 4 xm18 I had to send back to the factory for them to tweak the lockface for a solid lockup. Once it came back I've had no issues.

I currently own (9) xm18 gen4/5/6 in both 3 and 3.5" and those are all solid lockups.

What gens are you having issue with?

Hello Krazichinaman!
Thanks for the reply.

Both are Gen 6.

I'd rather not have to send them back, Europe -> USA get expensive fast, especially when customs decide I have to pay importtaxes on my own stuff...

Maybe try reaching out to RHK and see what options you have? With them being both Gen6 they do have the steel lockbar insert. Not sure if they would send you the part itself but might be worth a try?

Just a note: Blade lock-up is not always a sign of lock reliability. I have heard of, and personally experienced, knives with zero play have lock failures.

Please be careful, and use common sense!

Just a note: Blade lock-up is not always a sign of lock reliability. I have heard of, and personally experienced, knives with zero play have lock failures.

Please be careful, and use common sense!
Definately.

I've had that once with a cheaper knife, luckaly no injuries.

But since I've had lockslip on a more expensive folders ($600+), I've gained a distrust towards framelocks and check them all.

Definately.

I've had that once with a cheaper knife, luckaly no injuries.

But since I've had lockslip on a more expensive folders ($600+), I've gained a distrust towards framelocks and check them all.

I make it a habbit of distrusting all locks, my friend

I hope you get your issue resolved! I understand those Hinderer knives are very expensive

Back