Photos History / ID Help

Thanks for any help or info.

EsFI2u7.jpg

I have been thinking to find and gift to my dad (a retired Fireman) a fireman's Pulaski or Forest Service used axe, even something CCC would be incredible.
Then I happened upon the red handled, painted with sheath, Collins Legitimus pictured.
I have not been able to find much to anything referencing a Collins Legitimus used specifically or marketed to fire departments.
What I am hoping is to find anything definitive that would confirm this Axe could very well have been in use with a firehouse, to give the axe the intended meaning and history for the gift.
It's still a great axe either way!!
Just will it be the intended gift or my keeper
I can't reuse the handle...it had FOUR metal cross wedges over the single wood wedge. When I got the axe, the head was stuck, coming off about a 1/2" up the haft.
She sounds like a cracked baseball bat tinging when I tap it.

2hQr2WC.jpg

Miller

Before I started this thread I had read thru the yesteryeartool Collins info finding the two paragraphs below, and the Collins Manufacturer Thread created by Operator75.

dBXeV6E.jpg

This is as much as I have been able to find these past few days now.
Perhaps this is as clear and definitive as general web searches will bring me?

Anyone see the primer or perhaps other color painted on this handle before?

I am on the fence if I should go with it being a fire axe, if it was intended or used in service perhaps on an engine. Or if being a period piece, it was just painted red by someone that wanted a fire axe :cool:

The longer I go without knowing, the more I fall back to wanting to find him a Forest Service Polaski or CCC stamped chopper. :):thumbsup:

Find alot of axes painted red maybe so they don't get lost,most fire axes I have seen are 5 or 6 lbs.

Thank you.
I was not sure if weight would play a part or not...I assumed it would, weight and pattern etc...
You have definitely helped me out, I was already leaning toward it just being painted and your subtle nudge helps me get off the fence a little more.
Unless there is some solid info to push me toward the fire service with this Collins, I will rehang her for me and not paint the handle red.
I will however try to copy that handles slender shape and curves.

Thanks again,

Miller

The poll on this has not been bashed! Meaning it's been properly cared for.. or perhaps you'll discover that the poll has been hardened. Red painted axes are not restricted to fire services; folks that used tools in thick brush or forest often put some colour(s) on them so they'd be less likely to be lost. These days fluorescent paints applied to the butt are pretty useful for that.
That handle may not be dead. The damage from the steel wedges is relatively short and you do have another 1/2 - 3/4 inch to move the head back before you pass the shoulder. Take a good look.

The poll on this has not been bashed! Meaning it's been properly cared for.. or perhaps you'll discover that the poll has been hardened. Red painted axes are not restricted to fire services; folks that used tools in thick brush or forest often put some colour(s) on them so they'd be less likely to be lost. These days fluorescent paints applied to the butt are pretty useful for that.
That handle may not be dead. The damage from the steel wedges is relatively short and you do have another 1/2 - 3/4 inch to move the head back before you pass the shoulder. Take a good look.

I did not think about the pole possibly being hardened, I was just amazed at how beautiful it still looked. Being able to read the 3 on the pole, clearly and distinctly, I feel lucky to have come home with this one.
I did want to reuse this handle, and with your encouragement I will give it the ole' college try! I will start to bring it down on the shoulder and see.
The worst that can happen, I am not comfortable with the rehang being secure and or safe and it goes back on the shelf with the other great old broken handle I have, from a Collins hatchet.

nml4bYL.jpg

C3Z8kyM.jpg

Thanks 300 for the info and nudge to give the handle a go. It does look bad but maybe it will surprise me.

Very few collector axes get a lot of use. If the handle is relatively sound it'll still secure a Christmas tree and split campfire wood for many years. On the other hand if it's going to become the primary splitter for heating with a wood stove then you'll want the very best.

Very few collector axes get a lot of use. If the handle is relatively sound it'll still secure a Christmas tree and split campfire wood for many years. On the other hand if it's going to become the primary splitter for heating with a wood stove then you'll want the very best.

That's right along the line of what I have been thinking 300, thanks you.
I started bringing it down the shoulder today a bit and will have a little time tomorrow as well. With a little luck I may have a solid hang tomorrow, if not by Friday to show you guys.

Way to go, hope you can make it work.
It's such a nice old handle that it would be a shame not to use it if you can.

I agree H n' S and kudos to 300 for basically opening my eyes to allowing this beauty the chance to swing and chop again...even if just for a little light duty, I know I am going to enjoy it.

Not yet sure how I will finish the handle.

kOBiGyI.jpg

n6fptrC.jpg

GJjov2e.jpg

Thanks again 300six for getting me to try and save the handle.
No tinging noise in the handle, solid and full contact in the eye.

Thank you:thumbsup:
Hopefully it's not to flashy, I was going for a subtle reminder of its own history then liked the way it felt/fit in my hand with the one line carved out...so I added two more for the grip it gives me.

Thank you:thumbsup:
Hopefully it's not to flashy, I was going for a subtle reminder of its own history then liked the way it felt/fit in my hand with the one line carved out...so I added two more for the grip it gives me.
Nah, it's not too flashy.
Now if you had gone all out like a best made I'd call that flashy.

Nah, it's not too flashy.
Now if you had gone all out like a best made I'd call that flashy.

Thanks man and perfect, I appreciate the feedback. I still may remove one strip...or see how they wear and or fade going into spring with a little use here and there.

zKEQC9q.jpg

Oh wow! These are colorful.

I prefer to always keep it simple stupid, for that's how I best stay out of trouble :cool:

Thanks man and perfect, I appreciate the feedback. I still may remove one strip...or see how they wear and or fade going into spring with a little use here and there.

zKEQC9q.jpg

Oh wow! These are colorful.

I prefer to always keep it simple stupid, for that's how I best stay out of trouble :cool:
Yeah, I'm normally the same way ( giving a homemade knife sheath some frontier style flare is a different story though )
I have no clue why they paint their axes this way.
These are standard council tools axes minus the painted heads, so there's no reason for them to be so expensive.

According to their web page felling axe goes for $188 and same axe with painted handle goes for $348
For slapping some paint they charge double. Is it some kind of space age paint or am I missing something?
How long this paint lasts with actual use?

Back