History of Umnumzaan changes

Ok, I need someone with a deep history sense here . . .

Background: I just received (Friday, 4/2/21) a Star-Tac (Wilson Combat version of the Umnumzaan) directly from Wilson Combat. I was disappointed when she arrived - not because of the knife or the condition, which were both perfect - but because it was essentially new-old-stock. The birthday was 2013. Additionally, the o-rings had essentially turned to mush. My plan was to send it back to Wilson Combat tomorrow (4/5/21) and exchange it (hopefully for a much newer one with good o-rings). In the interim, I found the right forums and got some o-rings prime-delivered today (Sunday, 4/4/21). They fit and now the knife is working perfectly.

Questions:
  1. Were there major changes to the Umnumzaan between 4/29/2013 and now? It is the newer style with the new pivot and the increased tab on the lock bar.
  2. If it is exactly the same as new ones, is there any problem with having new-old-stock vs one made in the last few year? Metal fatigue? Decrease in value? Better QC back then as opposed to now?
Now that it is all together, I am not sure I want to go through the hassle (and added expense) of sending it back, just to take a gamble on the age of the next one.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

(P.S., Doh! I originally posted this in the marketplace, since that was the page open in my browser. Sorry about that. Pictures of knife below.)

Last edited:
Ok, I need someone with a deep history sense here . . .

Background: I just received (Friday, 4/2/21) a Star-Tac (Wilson Combat version of the Umnumzaan) directly from Wilson Combat. I was disappointed when she arrived - not because of the knife or the condition, which were both perfect - but because it was essentially new-old-stock. The birthday was 2013. Additionally, the o-rings had essentially turned to mush. My plan was to send it back to Wilson Combat tomorrow (4/5/21) and exchange it (hopefully for a much newer one with good o-rings). In the interim, I found the right forums and got some o-rings prime-delivered today (Sunday, 4/4/21). They fit and now the knife is working perfectly.

Questions:
  1. Were there major changes to the Umnumzaan between 4/29/2013 and now? It is the newer style with the new pivot and the increased tab on the lock bar.
  2. If it is exactly the same as new ones, is there any problem with having new-old-stock vs one made in the last few year? Metal fatigue? Decrease in value? Better QC back then as opposed to now?
Now that it is all together, I am not sure I want to go through the hassle (and added expense) of sending it back, just to take a gamble on the age of the next one.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

TimLAUZ

hdbzJbc
General Knife Discussion

Here's the knife. Any info on potential changes since April 2013 would be really welcomed.

Thanks
87C26A7A-08E5-47F7-9023-DA651862AA7F_1_105_c.jpeg
6F507FFB-C4D5-4E88-964D-8474F2173601.jpeg

Last edited:
I get the mixed feelings about receiving a New Old Stock CRK knife but, to be honest, I think the older ones have more value as a collector though they make great users as well.

The only real differences to me might be the blade steel being SVN-35 versus BG-42 of older knives. Personally, I prefer BG-42 myself over SVN-35 in a knife like this. A polished edge on BG-42 is wicked sharp! Sitting side-by-side, I'd take the older BG-42 Sebenza everytime over a newer one! YMMV.

FWIW, a distant friend has a Sebenza in ATS-34 that he still carries today! That knife has seen so many deer and so much tobacco I'm surprised it still has any blade life left as his daily user! Yes, it was very expensive when he bought it but, how knives did it replace over its life (i.e. how many slip-joints would have died in similar service over this length of time in service)?

According to wikipedia for the umnumzaan, no changes have been made to that knife after mid 2012. So despite the year, I don’t see any differences between yours and one more recent. I cant foresee any issues with metal fatigue. The only possibility of there being a difference is if they changed their heat treat process over the years but that isn’t mentioned in the wiki after 2012.

Obviously, they are about to have an s45vn variation but it’s not out yet.

So I was all set to keep her, and start carrying her tomorrow, when I noticed that the blade doesn't full seat while closed. It allows for the tip of the blade to get caught on clothing (or flesh) from between the scales at the bottom. If I push down, it moves to a safer position - but then bounces back up. I removed the o-rings, and it still does this. I am sure this adjustable, but I will send this one back to see if I can get something newer than 8 years old.

And now that I am sending her back, I wonder Star-tac or regular Umnumzaan . . . ? Blade Gallery has a standard version born in 2020 in stock right now for $100 less than the Wilson Combat version.

Last edited:
Metal that isn't subjected to stress cycles wont fatigue. And the stress strain curve for that slab of titanium, even if someone had opened and closed it once a day for the past 8 years, it wouldn't have noticed :cool:

It's every bit as strong as the day it was made - Use it confidently knowing you got the good looking version!

Kind of an odd story that you got a new 8 year WC given how quickly these sell out. If it were me I'd get new regular S45VN.

Kind of an odd story that you got a new 8 year WC given how quickly these sell out. If it were me I'd get new regular S45VN.

Maybe not so odd. The left-handed knives are often in stock when the right handed ones are gone - especially the fancy ones. This one isn't quite fancy, but it is $100 more than the regular Umnumzaan.

Update:
I called CRK this morning. They were concerned with the fact that there was play in the knife when it was closed. They suggested I send it in, so I decided to send it back to Wilson Combat. I left them a note inside that CRK wanted them to send it back for servicing as well.

I will go by Blade Gallery this week to pick up the paperwork on my Andre Thorburn (pic below). While I am there, I will check out their left-handed Umnumzaans. (I am beginning to strongly favor buying knives and guns in person these days.)

Here's the pic of the Thorburn (also a lefty):
102562_1_x.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up the new Umnumzann in person yesterday from Blade Gallery. I still am not sure whether i like the Wilson Combat starburst more or the partial hatch design of the CRK version. But, this one was made in Dec 2020 and cost $100 less. It is still s35vn, but I am happier with this than a Wilson Combat version that is 8 years old, out of spec, and cost $100 more.

(But, of course, that’s this week. Next week, I am sure I will be seeing when the Wilson Combat s45vn versions will be in ;-)

I picked up the new Umnumzann in person yesterday from Blade Gallery. I still am not sure whether i like the Wilson Combat starburst more or the partial hatch design of the CRK version. But, this one was made in Dec 2020 and cost $100 less. It is still s35vn, but I am happier with this than a Wilson Combat version that is 8 years old, out of spec, and cost $100 more.

(But, of course, that’s this week. Next week, I am sure I will be seeing when the Wilson Combat s45vn versions will be in ;-)
You haven't seen the polished damascus zaan, have you...

Back