Recommendation? HItachi #2 steel HT for sharpfinger like thin grind.

I purchased the steel solely due to its apparent popularity. Where should a fairly thin, sharpfinger type blade be HT'd to?

I will send it out to peters or another.

Membership expired just about ten days ago...

Thanks in advance.
Ron

I’ve done mineskinners, hunters) that weren’t going to see abuse up around 62rc. A made a few woodworking tools out of it at 62rc as well and they held up well

On blades like your project, I only profile the blade and then HT. All bevels and thinning are done post-HT.

Be aware that your steel will be HARD when you get it back. Aogami#2 (Blue #2) can easily be tempered to Rc63 for a user like a sharpfinger shape.
You will have to use good quality new belts (I like zirconia) and dip the blade in water every pass. VS is almost a must-have to grind hardened blades. The tip is especially vulnerable to overheating and ruining the temper.

Setting up a Kool-Mist system is a very smart idea for anyone who is going to do bevels post-HT.

BTW, 26C3 is a great choice for these blades, it is very close to Hitachi White ( between white and blue).

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. I think I have what I need to order up HT services for these, now.

Thanks,
Ron

Back