Hitachi's Super Blue Steel

Hi all,

In my never ending (that's how we become collectors right?) quest for the "coolest" steel, I was wondering if anyone has any practical experience with Hitachi's (Aogami) Super Blue steel? I am tempted to get the Caly in Super Blue.

Does the Super Blue take a finer edge than M4 or ZDP189 or (insert favorite steel here)?

Thanks!

I have one but haven't used it yet. I would be willing to bet it will take a scary Sharp fine edge. I just don't know how long it will hold it. I would think it takes a finer edge than M4 but that is just speculation based on their composition.

It's a nice carbon steel with fairly good wear-resistance. I've only used it in kitchen stuff.

Works well in the kitchen (with proper care) but rusts like crazy and isn't suited for any type of folder or utility blade imho. YMMV.

I do not think it is necessarily better. But it is certainly different. That is enough for me.
I have got already some knives with that steel - for example from Kanetsune. But I have bought Caly - it is absolutely different blade and for sure different heat treat.
Anyway, I believe lots of the differences mentioned in user reviews are imagined. After all, so many people love some steels others hate and verse-verso.

I love it. I have two of Murray Carter's knives in super blue and it is impressive. I've used them to carve walking sticks out of cedar and they held their edge extremely well, and stood up to some scraping and chopping with no rolls or chips. I put them on the edge pro and was able to get a hair whittling edge without too much trouble.

My experience with Murray's knives led me to get the Caly in super blue. I didn't realize it has such a reputation for staining. The retailer that I got the Caly from said it was stainless. I do not have any rust or staining on my MC knives. Of course, I do wipe them down and put them away dry.

I haven't broken out the edge pro for the caly yet, but my guess is it is going to take an amazing edge. It is super sharp out of the box, but I know the ep will refine it.

Mine has held up well, I like this steel. It didn't take too many apples to put a good patina on it. It sharpens up really nicely, although I think I can get a better edge with my CPM-M4. Of course, I haven't done a lot of work with it yet.

In my never ending (that's how we become collectors right?) quest for the "coolest" steel, I was wondering if anyone has any practical experience with Hitachi's (Aogami) Super Blue steel? I am tempted to get the Caly in Super Blue. Thanks!

Here's a good resource on steels and knives: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/index.shtml

I have been chatting back and forth with Mark at chefknivestogo, as well as many other knowledgable folks. I'll soon be adding a Nakiri to my collection. He recommends the Dojo Hayashi. They are Super Blue, clad in stainless, and hardened to Rc 62. For $80 it's a steal (no pun intended - sorry). If I had my choice, I would prefer this same blade with a traditional Japanese handle but there is no such product available anywhere close to this price point. As you probably are well aware, most super blue blades are about $150+.

Technically speaking, super steel won't take "quite" the edge that white steel can. However, this distinction is purely academic unless you take the edge to a VERY high grit level (probably at least 30K) using strops with VERY fine abrasives like chromium oxide or dmt diamond pastes, etc. Or 3M abrasive films. Super blue might take a bit longer to sharpen than white steel but not so much if you are using diamond hones - these are simply are vastly harder than any steel.

My personal interest is that Super blue will hold it's edge a good deal better than white and that's what I'm looking forward to. I use my white carbon blade a LOT. Sure, it's easy to touch it up with a quick 1200/8000 combo. But I want that incredible "just sharpened" feel to last for as long as possible. So for me, that's why I'm getting a super blue blade. If it wasn't for this one desire, I'd just get a very nice Tojiro or similar white steel nakiri.

Just my 2 cents. I hope this helps.

Jeff

from what I've understood, it takes a ridiculously sharp edge because it performs well at extreme hardness (64 or so). That's why they use it in high-end kitchen knives. But as someone mentioned above, some makers are also using it in utility/field knives, sometimes by sandwiching it between two softer steels (San Mai), like Murray Carter.

I personally don't own anything in super blue, mostly because none of my preferred makers use it, but sure, I'd love to own something some day if the need/opportunity arise.

You might read up on it in the Spyderco forums. Do not listen to anybody who says it's not suited for a folder or EDC knife. That's just plain wrong. I have no problem giving non stainless knives a little care and am not scared of non stainless steels. Mine are a couple months old and have no more rust on them than my VG10, S30V, Elmax, whatever knives. It can patina easily if you want but I keep mine shiny new. It sharpens very easily, and takes very fine edges. It's made a lot of converts among people who didn't grow up using non stainless knives and were apprehensive.

Joe

As compared to some other steels I have, M390, 154CM, S90V, N690, 3V, A2...how fine an edge will Super Blue take? Does anyone have experienced in comparing the steels?

I don't think this is a measurable value...perhaps just experience.

Back