Hobo Stove

Hi all,
I made a hobo stove the other day out of a large tin can, then I tested it in the field after collecting loads of twigs and thin branches I got it going. It took about 25 mins to boil enough water for a cuppa and the amount of fuel it used was crazy, I spent the whole time snapping branches into little bits to fuel the fire (maybe it was because I was using spruce), anyway the thought of cooking my main meal on it was not on and I couldn't wait to get my Peak one sparked up.

I suppose in a survival situation it would have been great and maybe if I'd had some slower burning fuel, any thoughts on Hobo stoves? does anyone use one regularly?

------------------
Nembo...

[This message has been edited by Nembo (edited 30 November 1999).]

I do not use hobo stoves but know people who do and have great success. I believe in using what nature has available...so I don't have to carry a bunch of stuff. I will do one of two things:

Build a decent size fire (safely and in an area I have cleared to bare dirt...3 to 6 feet for me and 10 for a small group)

Or if I want a very small fire that I can put out quickly, I may build an evasion fire. This simply means I dig a small hole down about 12 to 15 inches (as big around as a number 10 coffee can), punch a vent hole into it with a stick (45 degrees to the hole) to allow oxygen to circulate within it, and then using a small platform and brace build a fire with twigs or small shavings of heart wood. The small, yet concentrated flame will boil water fairly quickly (not as fast as your stove though).

Note in a true evasion fire (not that this is relevant...but thought I should clarify an evasion fire) you would not use and wood products that put off a smoke:
-no pitch wood
-must remove bark and lichen on twigs
-no wood with moisture, etc.
you would also not allow the flames to go above the top of the hole and would have the covering and dirt close by to replace it quickly (also puts fire out). Also you would place the fire in a well concealed area.

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Hobo stove fuel;

Get a tuna can or some such, empty of course, and cut a long-ass strip of cardboard that can be rolled up an nest neatly inside the tuna can.

Then melt parafin wax all over it.

It'll burn like the blazes, it's resistant to being blown out by wind, and wholey superior to stoking the fire with twigs.

Since it's mostly just the parafin that burns, you can reuse the same fuel unit(?) as long as you have some extra wax to melt into the used fuel unit.

It's probably a good idea to carry two so one can melt wax for the other.

Yeah, hobo stoves are kinda messy to pack, but with the proper fuel they work well. Mostly useful for urban camping or, well, being a hobo. Billy-can stoves are great for living outdoors in an urban environment.

We've been using Hobo stoves for years. They're great! They're efficient, light weight and easy to use. I show how to make a couple in my first video Cave Cooking. The idea is to make sure that there isn't too much air flow in the stove or your fuel will be used up too fast.

My favorite Hobo stove is made from a 1 lb coffee can. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of ways to make a Hobo stove. From what you said, it sounds like you had too much air circulation in the stove itself. You need to get enough air ventilation to keep the fire going, but not too much or the fire will burn too fast and you'll end up using a lot more fuel.

You also need to make sure that there is a hole for the flames to touch whatever you're heating. You need direct contact of the flame and your "food" in order for it to work most efficiently.

Hope this helps.

Karen Hood
Hoods Woods www.survival.com

[This message has been edited by Karen Hood (edited 01 December 1999).]

Hell, I remember using those in BoyScouts vividly but the scout master used a metal 5 gallon bucket and charcoal, but they work and they are pretty easy to maintain

Back