Hoffritz Cutlery SAK -- Any differences from a real one?

EChoil

BANNED
I have a HOFFRITZ Officer model SAK I purchased at a Hoffritz Cutlery store in Manhattan, NY, probably in the mid-to-late '70's. Obviously it has served me for a long time. It seems identical in build and quality to the Victorinox Officer I also own, acquired much later.

The knife actually has "Hoffritz" inlaid in the red handle as well as stamped on the main blade, as I believe Victorinox and Wenger do, as well as the official cross symbol on the handle. But nowhere are the Victorinox or Wenger names shown. I'm under the impression they're still the only two licensed manufacturers.

Lately it's raised a question:
Is anyone familar with the Hoffritz SAK's of this period? How many were manufactured; was it a special run or did they sell gobs of them just as another arm of SAK sales? And, most importantly, anything I should know about a Hoffritz model as opposed to the other makers, or is it the same knife just different name?​

Anyone else have one?

EDIT: I just remembered, the Hoffritz store had a big SAK display...even had the 100-blader, or whatever that thing was, in a revolving showcase. Maybe they WERE just another licensed outlet for the authentic knife...

Last edited:
I don't have the details, sorry, but I do know that Victorinox produced knives for Hofftritz company and stamped Hoffritz name on the tang instead of their own. So, the materials, build, and quality are identical to the other Victorinox knives of the period.

I don't have the details, sorry, but I do know that Victorinox produced knives for Hofftritz company and stamped Hoffritz name on the tang instead of their own. So, the materials, build, and quality are identical to the other Victorinox knives of the period.

Thanks, man. I thought that was probably the deal. Has been a very good knife. Just wondered if it was a limited or any kind of special steel or something....

Back