HOG-Heaven...Probably Looks Something Like This I Reckon....

Would you like year 2020 to look like this?

• Total voters

Father & Son Traditional Sharpening

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So, occasionally I find myself digging back in the Archives of Jerry's profile here going back in time to wonder over all the glorious INFI that's seen the light of day since the beginning of the Busse sub-forum here at Blade Forums.

I went looking for something specific this morning, which I really cannot even remember at this point what had my interest this time around. I ended up somewhere's around 2009, with the really cool story behind Double Cut SAR 4's... then started paging back until I hit 2010.

2010, what a great year to be a HOG. Of course, I hadn't even heard of Busse in 2010... it wasn't until 2011 that I ended up searching online for good sturdy functional knife that was built to last and found Swamp Rat Knife Works and eventually this very forum.

The first release of 2010 I found which was worth noting, was the Urban Grudge. Not sure what more need be said for this knife, I had an HG-55 Military Overrun very early in my collection that I loved very much that is basically kissing cousins to this blade. Urban Grudge has already been reissued, so no questions here to it's greatness...

. . . . and it's comin' to the ShamRuckO'Ganzaaaaa. . . . :eek:

Meet The Busse Combat "Urban Grudge"

SuperCavonred.jpg

SuperCavonblack.jpg

I also owned one of these for a VERY brief period after lucking into trading for it from a fellow JYD along with a Scrap Yard Challenge Coin with my EXACT JYD# on it!!! My good friend ended up practically begging me for the Weiner Dog, so I had to pass it on... but seriously what a really cool knife from the short time I had it!

Dan just posted this on Scrap Yard!

It will debut at the ShamRuckO'Ganzaaaaaa!!!!!!

Let's Drink!!!! :thumbup:

Jerry :D

WienerDog2.jpg

Next was a re-release of the original Desert Storm Fighter. OOOOHH, YEAH!! Having had one of these years ago which was stripped and double cut finished, I can speak with experience that it's a great knife and would LOVE to see these come back again!

The Desert Storm Fighter debuted in 1990 at a show just outside of Ft. Bragg, NC.

Word of deeply entrenched Iraqi strongholds throughout the desert led many to believe that there would be heavy hand-to-hand combat. Short swords and long knives quickly became the bladeware order of the day.

20 years later there are still many who have the same requirements and they turned to this time-proven design to fill the bill. There's lots of history here gang and it's great to see this model back in the thick of it once again!!!

This is a special overrun that will debut at Knob Creek this weekend!!!

Here a sneak peek at the "Terror Monkey DSF".

Let's Drink!!!

Jerry

desertstormtm.jpg

The Boss Jack holds a very special place in my heart, easily one of my all time favorite and most practical to carry Busse belt sized field knives. The choilless variants I especially hold dear, having had a couple of them over the years in both the Proto and Combat Grade variations. Cannot go wrong with this model at all, and you can have them pretty much anyway you like big, small or no choil.

This is the team knife of Garth and Ron "The Hill Stick Kid". . . . and they're bringing a special prototype, double cut Combat Grade version to Knob Creek!!!!!! :eek:

This Jack is Killer Cool!!!!! :eek: :thumbup:

Nice job boys!!!!! :thumbup:

KCBOSSJackCLOSEUP2.jpg

KCBOSSJackCLOSEUP.jpg

KCBOSSJackBlades3.jpg

KCBOSSJackBlades4.jpg

KCBOSSJackBlades5.jpg

Yet another model that was once part of my collection, the one I had was a satin hollow ground Custom Shop Boss Street w/ Quilted Black Paper @ .22" Thick. Basically very similar specs as the Terror Monkey's had featured, what a sweet knife it was! I do in fact miss it quite a lot, great choice for a small heavy duty belt knife, IMO of course.

Super Cool Overrun BOSS Street!!!!!!. . . . Comin' to the Knob with the Desert Storm Fighter!!!!

KCBOSSST9.jpg

KCTMPAIR.jpg

So much going on with this badass chunk of Thinfi, 3/16" Thick, Convex Grind, Competition Finish w/ Black & Tan Micarta! YOWZA!! I also had one of the coated versions of this, VERY fast knife in the hand for it's size and a good chopper to boot!

The "Competition Finish" is a bit different than the previous Competition Grade in so far as we are double cutting these prior to sharpening! This will cut down greatly on the decarb/oxidation issue.

These bad boys have INFI dimples and polished edges!!! :thumbup:

They are wicked sharp!!! :thumbup:

They feature a heavy striped black and tan canvas micarta and will make the air bleed!!!! :eek: :thumbup:

KCBWBMCF2.jpg

KCBWBMCFCLOSEUP.jpg

Again, not sure how but I had one of these sick puppies years ago... having since traded it to my closest of friends since High School. No idea where he or it is these days, but I sure do miss em' both! Seriously fantastic knife in every way, understatement of the year.... :eek::eek:

Dan is crackin' the bourbon dam with this one!!!!!:eek:

Differentially treated. . . full height grind. . . . and his pricing is completely delusional!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :thumbup:. . . . . the boy has lost his mind!!!!!

This blade is SICK!!!

Nice Job Dan!!!!!

Pass the bourbon Bro!!!!!

Let's Drink!!!!

Jerry

KCREGULATORLE2.jpg

This model is the only one from 2010 that surprisingly I have not ever handled in any way shape or form. That said, it looks amazing for an EDC knife... I haven't seen much mentioned about this knife over the years, but I suspect it is vastly underrated!!

. . . and it is coming SOON!!!!!! :eek:

Ingredients and directions:

[ ] Use satin finished INFI that is only .160" thick. . . . That's right!. . . It is THINFI!!!!!! :eek: :thumbup:

[ ] Give it the exact same length of cutting edge as an Active Duty in a format that is fairly close in overall length to that of the Game Warden.

[ ] Texture the handles with an aggressive non-slip Gull Wing pattern like that of its big brothers the SAR 4 and SAR 8.

[ ] Run it through the Busse Combat Nuclear Reactor with hand polished and rounded edges on every exposed outer edge. :eek:

[ ] Emulsify and puree on high speed.

[ ] Bake in oven, quench in Johnnie Walker Blue and then stick it in the ultra deep freeze!!!! :thumbup:

[ ] Make in very limited batches and Voila!!!!! :thumbup:

Now pour a drink and light a cigar to celebrate the birth of your new favorite EDC!!!!!!:D

Let's Drink! :thumbup:

SAR3LE1.jpg

This knife was actually my first Busse knife ever if I remember correctly, it had the old Jungle Green coating. I am still a fan of the old jungle green coating, though I'll admit I generally don't like coatings much at all. Reminds me of old mil-spec ammo cans you can buy surplus real cheap, super cool. Great heavy machete type chopping knife that's still really fast in the hand, would love to see something along these lines in the future... especially loved the narrower Res-c handles with the side molding.

Fun Fun. . . .

Basic11Black.jpg

Different Flavors. . . .

Basic11.jpg

Anorexic Boss Streets, YOWZA!! I scored a Tequila G-10 Small Choil Anorexic Boss Street at my first (and only) BLADE Show. I believe there were only a couple there like it, just one heck on an impressive knife all the way around... really want another one of these choilless LE's with black paper.

CABS LE
CABS2.jpg

LCABS LE
LCABS.jpg

SCABS LE
SCABS.jpg

So, here we are.... IS ANYBODY STILL HERE READING THIS???

In hindsight, completely unbeknownst to me until just this morning... 2010 was in fact HOG-Heaven in my ridiculous estimation. It was THE year for me, basically ALL of my all time favorites came out within about 12 months of each other.... :confused::confused:

It was also the year that marked the Series Premiere of 'The Walking Dead' and the reveal of the legendary Team Gemini!!! I don't think there are many here who are not a fan of either the show or the Team Gemini, but I know I cannot wait for the TGULB to hit da streets... should be the best one yet IMO.

I thought that some of you might like to take a look at an old school special military blade that we have been making quite a few of lately :thumbup:. . .

Don't expect to to see this anytime too soon. . . . but it will make it to the trough sometime this year!!!!!. . . . . :eek::D:thumbup:

Check it out. . . . .:eek:

TeamGemini2A.jpg

TeamGeminiHandle.jpg

How could this have happened??? What was going on in the Janitor's mind at this point in history??? We will NEVER know I suspect, but perhaps somebody here might have a clue as to just what happened in 2010. Maybe, just maybe... there is more to the story that will be revealed. Either way, it was a GREAT year in Busse history!!

At any rate, I do hereby solemnly swear that I strongly believe that the Year 2020 releases from Busse & Kin should be composed of nothing more than rereleases of what was offered in 2010 as Anniversary blades!!! No need to even come out with anything new at all for 2020, just program the machines to crank out some oldies (but goodies) which have been aged like the finest of wines... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :cool::cool::cool:

Ooooh,...I bet I could get a mint for my original UG after that post!

Sorry boys, not for sale!

I had to wait forever to find it on the exchange....

I've always been drawn to the Fudge and Grudge - always want to add one but there's a perfect example of a knife that has appreciated quite well.

Looks like this thread has moved a few hogs, I will take that... wasn't really expecting much response here. Thanks to everyone for contributing :thumbsup:

AAAaaannnddd...

The Basic 11. :thumbsup:

(not to mention Gladius)

IN!!!

I left a few out from 2010, Gladius being one of them.... mainly just highlighting my faves. B11 is sweet though for sure...

Lovin' that Regulator.

Must have.

:thumbsup:

Indeed, it is a must have.... a must have REISSUE! ;)

I enjoyed the pics and the reminisces. Good stuff.

I had no idea there was an American Regulator LE. Beauty.

Thanks for the kind words my friend.

This is a beautiful thread filled with history! Awesome stuff! thanks for your effort to make it! I learned some things here and saw blades I didn't know about before and that's not easy to pull of on me. :thumbsup:

Hopefully with a little bit of help we can keep it going. Maybe others can share their favorite year or era/time periods of Busse. I would love to hear what others are called towards and why at this point, after having taken a step out of the trough for quite some time... this sort of thing is good to hear.

Lots of good stuff here, I enjoy the history.

FWIW- I have had three SAR3’s, still have two. Two satin, one DCBB, none of them numbered. The handle ergos are very good for my medium/large hands and I like the jimping. However, all three had somewhat poor edge geometry. They are not convex like their big brothers, they have a V edge and are very thick behind the edge. Not to say that they’re a bad knife, just that you need to knock down the shoulders a bit. YMMV.

Anorexic Boss Streets, YOWZA!! I scored a Tequila G-10 Small Choil Anorexic Boss Street at my first (and only) BLADE Show. I believe there were only a couple there like it, just one heck on an impressive knife all the way around... really want another one of these choilless LE's with black paper.
I just bought this a month ago. It's definitely my favorite Busse knife I own. So you are saying it came from Blade show originally?
ZK0xceP.jpg

yMlo2VL.jpg

Yes, there were only two of those offered at BLADE Show. It would not surprise me if you now own the exact knife I bought there, assuming they have not made more at other times. The other person who scored one was Gruntsoldier and I have no idea if he still has his, I’m betting he does though.

Lots of good stuff here, I enjoy the history.

FWIW- I have had three SAR3’s, still have two. Two satin, one DCBB, none of them numbered. The handle ergos are very good for my medium/large hands and I like the jimping. However, all three had somewhat poor edge geometry. They are not convex like their big brothers, they have a V edge and are very thick behind the edge. Not to say that they’re a bad knife, just that you need to knock down the shoulders a bit. YMMV.

It was my understanding that the main blade grind is convex on these, but I am sure the edge was V grind. This edge thickness is pretty much expected for myself, though I am sure this one might be a bit thicker because of the full convex grind plus v edge.

Yes, there were only two of those offered at BLADE Show. It would not surprise me if you now own the exact knife I bought there, assuming they have not made more at other times. The other person who scored one was Gruntsoldier and I have no idea if he still has his, I’m betting he does though.
Oh very cool! Thanks for the info. I’m a newer hog than most and love learning all I can. Cool to know where my SCABS came from and approximately when it was made.

It was my understanding that the main blade grind is convex on these, but I am sure the edge was V grind. This edge thickness is pretty much expected for myself, though I am sure this one might be a bit thicker because of the full convex grind plus v edge.

Honestly, on this small of a blade, I am having a hard time determining whether the primary bevel is convex or full flat. But looking at the plunge line, I would guess convex. IIRC, the SAR4 LE I had was a convex edge and grind, fully convex, this is how I thought all SAR’s were until I got my 3’s. Perhaps I should not make assumptions.
On a side note, one of my SAR3’s also has tequila handles, like your Boss Street. I’m not an old timer here, but I have not seen another.

Back