1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hog hunting knife help please?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by crishy, May 21, 2014.

1. worldwood

worldwood

Sep 30, 2012
    Thanks CC, Like said i have never done it so i was curious, but it makes sense that different things would work better for different people. Like most things in life :D

2. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Maybe BWM? 10" clip point INFI, quite light and agile in hand...

3. lazy otter

lazy otter Banned BANNED

Apr 4, 2013
    I'd take a look at omnivore blade works Americana .......I feel horrible not saying go with a rat or kin.....but this is just my opinion

4. ragnerok

ragnerok

Oct 25, 2008
    First i thought this was a joke, but now i understand that this is a seriously question. Right, killing a hog with a knife- newer done that and do hope that i newer have to do that. But this question made me thinking about actually how to do it, in real life.

I am taller than a hog and to stab a hog with a knife i either have to stab it from above, what not seems as a good idear, as the hog most likely will get me to the ground before i hit it with my knife. Second option is to get down on my knees and try to stab it in the chest, before it takes care of me- dont like that option, either. Third possibillity is to dig a hole and cover it with sticke and poles and hiding downunder with my knife (bait on the top of the sticks/poles), then kill it from down under when it go for the bait- dont like that idear, either (me beeing trapt in a hole, with how many hogs on the top?). I would go for a one piece Chris Reeve knife on a long stick, if it had to be a knife, that idear makes sense to me (like a spear)- and a spear (or bow and arrow) is what beople have been using as hog hunting tools for thousands of years, before gunpowder and rifles did change that (some people still uses spears or bow and arrow). With a hog you would like to keep some distance, you cant do that with a knife.

Good luck..:D

H

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  5. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I believe they're using catch dogs to hold the hog for the dispatch. I've been after a lot of critters with dogs, but never hog-hunted with them, so you guys correct me if I'm wrong. Edit: Went back and reread kdstrick's post and answered my own question.

M9 LE for a pig sticker?

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  6. ragnerok

ragnerok

Oct 25, 2008
    With help from dogs, the whole scenary would be different.

M9 as a pig sticker would work, it has the right lenght and will penetrate anything. But the M9 is no longer in production, so my answer would be; the R9 in a custom shop version, with satin finish and a false spine 2/3 of the full lenght of the blade.

Pic. showing my custom shop RMD with a false spine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  7. jdigi101

jdigi101 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2010
    My ideal pig sticker would be a Busse DSF.

If Swamp Rat made one in SR101 with a differential heat treat that would be even better.

8. captainclemmys

captainclemmys

Jun 18, 2012
    I suspose you could just use a knife or spear but that was not my meaning. When I go, I use a small group of dogs to assist me in the field. I use the dogs to find, track, bay,strike, catch and hold the hogs before I use the knife. The catch dogs wear kevlar collars and vests. The others just wear cut collars but if they are gritty enough to get on a hog then they wear a vest too.

9. worldwood

worldwood

Sep 30, 2012
    The OP hasnt even been online since he posted the question...... Im doubtful he even meant to post in the swamp rat area.