Holding the Starmate?

RJT

I recently got a Starmate.I love this knife!I do have one concern however.When I grip the knife my finger wraps around where the liner is.I am concerned that the "flesh" of my finger could disengage the lock during hard use.Am I holding this knife correctly?The only other way I can think of is to rest my index finger on the contoured part of the handle in front of the liner-lock.How do you hold this knife?Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Bobby

I know where you're coming from. I found that the liner dug into my hand, both uncomfortable and a potential accident waiting to happen. It also obstructed my access to the hole from the clip side, a necessity for the "drop" opening method. I fixed my concernes by dremelling the rear scale and liner with a cutout similar to the front scale but slightly shallower. I also widened both cutouts a little bit so my index finger fit more comfortably in this area, really "locking in" the grip. I also added some light grooving to the edge of the locking liner so that I could get purchase on the now-thin area available to my thumb when I wanted to disengage it.

I recently had the opportunity to compare my modified knife to a stock Starmate, and was convinced that for me, anyhow, the improvement is substantial. Your mileage may vary. I'm still working on getting pics of mine to post.

-Drew

Hello,

When I hold my Starmate in my arms, time seems to stop and...
I need to stop Prozac immediatly !

No, when I hold the handle, my index is beyond the liner (between the pivot and the liner) resting on the guard created by the handle. SO I don't feel the liner ready to be unlock by a fumble.

Also I feel the liner on the Starmate really strong locking.
It makes also a loud SNAP, every sentry to remove could recognize !
("Damn' I will be remove by a frog armed with a Starmate !")

Cheers,
JM

Back