Hole size question

I'm making a stacked sheath for my Buck #119. It has a guard, so I've had to stack the back side of the sheath and skive beveled spacers. (might do that a little differently if I ever do another like this) The sheath thickness for about a 2/3 of the way down from the top is too thick for my stitching irons to go through all the layers. So it's obvious to me I'm going to have to drill my stitching holes. Luckily, when making the face of the sheath, I punched the diamond holes so I have a consistent row of holes to follow. I'm going to be using 8mm Tiger thread and a saddle stitch. What size drill bit should I use to drill the stitching holes? (boy do I ever have a lot to learn!)

I have used a 1/16th bit but if you have a benchtop drill press you can get a set of three large machine needles from tandy.
the needles are about 2 3/4s inch and have a larger base and work perfectly chucked up in a drill press.

WOW!!!! THANKS! That's something I'd never have thought of. What a great solution. No fuzz, no muss from drilling. I appreciate your answer.

I finish the hole on through with an awl, when I have that situation. It has the same diamond shaped blade as the stitching irons/ punch.

O.B.
Craftool-Pro-Stitching-Awl-83020-00-1200_1200_748x500.jpg

Oh, I didn't think about the shape of the existing holes. Oh Lordy, something else expensive to buy! Thanks, OB.

Bought the awl you suggested, OB, but a fellow at the store said he takes a 5/64" drill bit and makes a tapered drill bit out of it to drill his holes. Since this sheath is my first and a "test" dummy, I'll give that a try also.

I ended up making the tapered 5/64" drill bit. Glad I didn't go too deep and round the holes on the front of the sheath. I like the diamond diagonal holes punched by my iron. I'm going to keep using the punches and stay away from drilling if I can. I just like the looks of the diagonal stitches in those diagonal holes. Sampled some drilled holes and the look of the stitching just wasn't what I was after. On my second sheath, I used the punches and then finished the holes with the awl like Old Biker suggested.

Here's a picture of my first sheath with the diagonal holes.
p4028358835-4.jpg

Wow, I'm blessed! I appreciate you saying so, Paul. I highly respect your work. How neat, two of my mentors complimenting me on the same day. Life just doesn't get better than this, I don't think.

Back