Holiday Musings... NOT O/T!

Holiday greetings to you all, and Merry Christmas! There - I said it, and I'm proud to be one of God's children.

*folded arms*

Hmmph! :D :D :D

I have been thinking how much this forum means to me, and how much all of you - my friends - mean to me. I only hope some day I can contribute as much to your lives as you have contributed to mine. This holiday season has me thinking what a great community we have here. People - newbie knifemakers - drift into Shoptalk and we help them eagerly. We are like enthusiastic professors and diplomats of our craft, patiently instructing our students in the art.

This craft of knifemaking breeds good people. The knifemakers themselves are a genteel bunch. Much like Will Rogers, I can truly say I have never met another custon knifemaker I didn't like. This community we share is so rich in talent. I am always amazed at the things people make here. L6 (Michael) with his fantastic inventions and machines, Mark Williams and his excellent toast chopper. J. Neilson and the shark tooth. All wonderful people, and great artisans in their own right.

We also share celebrity. I was chatting with someone here at work about the differences between myself and some fella that gives great meetings on Wall Street, and makes 50-bjillion times more income than me, and what separates him from me (us). I'm thinking: Not much. He wants that life. I want mine. The bottom line isn't always the best way to measure your worth. I value my worth to others as well. Then my friend asked me about fame, and whether or not that was valuable to me. I pondered that for a while and came to realize I already was famous! Yeah! Little ol' Jeff Higgins. Famous. I said that I was already famous, because I was known world-wide. I regularly spoke (online) with people from Australia, Europe, SA, and all other points in the world that might hold someone with an internet connection and a passion for fine knives. Think about it!

Indian George! Man, everyone knows him. He's a CELEB among us, though most of us do not realize it. There are others, to be sure, but I won't elaborate now. Too many to list! We all share the fame, just too bad there wasn't a commensurate amount of fortune to go along with that, eh fellas? :p

One of the things that makes me thankful and thoughtful about here is the occasional prodigy that pops up. Brian Goode. Hah! Man, that guy was like kid with a new bike, huh? He asked SO many questions it was hard to keep up with him. Look at him now. A good maker, well on his way to greatness. Best of luck to you, Brian. You've got the right stuff to become one of the greats, and I'm one of your biggest fans.

Thanks are just not enough to explain how lucky we are. We have our own resident metallurgist: Mete. Always there with a fast answer to our queries. Roger Linger, a darn good heat-treater, a darn good knifemaker, and a darn-good guy. Always there with the right answer. Thumbs up to you, Rog. Hey we even have an ABS MS kicking around here. Thumbs up to you, Bruce Bump. Your kind advice and generosity is what makes us great.

All in all, its the lot of us that makes this forum so great. We support each other in so many ways I could ramble on forever, but suffice it to say that I think we got something special here. you can travel around to other forums in other areas of interest and see for yourselves. You'll never get the respect in a motorcycle forum that you will here - THAT is for sure!

God bless you all, and thanks for reading. I just felt like showing all of you what I have been mulling around in my head for a while. Seems like the Christmas season brings out the good in me. Peace.

God Bless us every one.

21701768_s3_xmas_sld2.jpg

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
What am I, chopped Liver? No "burch and his . . . " Wait a minute. I don't really have a claim-to-fame. :D :p

And yes -- sweany with a picture for every thread. :)

Good post Jeff and well stated thoughts. It is a little amazing how many people you do feel close to even though you have never met them in person and in fact, never spoken to on the phone.

Many of us realized how much of a community this is when the site went down.

fitzo

Gold Member
Yes, quite well said, Jeff. It's been good to be reading your posts more often here again!

Merry Christmas season to all those on BF!

And God Bless everyone and their families with a wonderful 2005!

Mark Williams

Nuts goofballs and dinguses all of you :)

We love you too Jeff :)

I REALLY noticed how much I missed all you guys during the outage. The cold sweat and pacing in circles was a sure clue. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all my friends.

Sando

Knife Maker
These cyber communities are odd you know. I'll make more heart felt comments here than I do with friends I can see. And yet comments here are more public - the entire world has access. Weird I tell you.

And yes Higgy I'm very happy to be a part of this group (whatever 'part' and 'group' means in this wacko context. I mean, could anyone imagine me and Fitzo running in the same circle?)

I too wish the very best to all.

Steve

Sando said:
These cyber communities are odd you know. I'll make more heart felt comments here than I do with friends I can see. And yet comments here are more public - the entire world has access. Weird I tell you.

And yes Higgy I'm very happy to be a part of this group (whatever 'part' and 'group' means in this wacko context. I mean, could anyone imagine me and Fitzo running in the same circle?)

I too wish the very best to all.

Steve
I can't imagine Fatzo running period, the way he smokes. :mad: The only thing I want for Xmas is for him to quit. :)
I think of all you Dudes as family too. Even though I always picking on someone doesn't mean I don't care. :rolleyes:
I hope everyone knows that they would always be welcomed at my home and shop. I hope all of you have the best Holidays possible. :D :D

Hey I almost forgot about that shark tooth thing. Gotta make another one of those. Thanks for the kind words buddy. This is a really great bunch of folk, your included there of course. ;) All the best to ya!