1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hollow grind with files?

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by Benaiahianmonk, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Benaiahianmonk

Benaiahianmonk

Oct 30, 2018
    I’ve been reading about straight razor filing by hand but have haven’t seen anything about hand filing the hollow grind.
    Also if you haven’t id like to hear you razor veterans chime in to any idea you might have to successfully achieve it. Thank you!cheers

2. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    You are talking about making your own? My understanding is that the hollow is always done with a wheel or belt, even going way back to the beginning.

3. Benaiahianmonk

Benaiahianmonk

Oct 30, 2018
    There’s a jig for straight blade knives that I use . Was looking for maybe a modification of that concept if there is one . But there is a straight blade razor as well with the hollowing .

4. Benaiahianmonk

Benaiahianmonk

Oct 30, 2018
    *post repair* without the hollowing

5. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    I won't say it isn't possible, but to the best of my knowledge, any hollow grinding needs to be done with a wheel. The shape of the hollow is defined by the size of the wheel used. Since low speed is not a problem, wheels can be made from a lot of materials that you might not think of, like MDF, and and abrasive applied. I've read that back at the height of straight razor production, the grind wheels (which could be a couple feet in diameter) were often made of wood planking, with the grinding surface being a layer of lead with the abrasive embedded in that. Talk about dangerous for the workman!

Unfortunately there are not many here who make razors specifically, and I'm not sure how active any of the straight razor forums are anymore, you might have to search archives rather than ask for help with the razor. There is a quite a difference between razors and knives, so very few people work with both.

6. Benaiahianmonk

Benaiahianmonk

Oct 30, 2018
    Lead ontop of wood planking that does sound unhealthy. That makes sense . I will continue to read and feed. Until I come up with something. Thank you!

7. kn4wd

kn4wd

Jan 20, 2014
    the straight w/o hollow grind is called a wedge, hollow grind is with a small wheel on a belt grinder in todays world. with a file its just not happening.

8. Benaiahianmonk

Benaiahianmonk

Oct 30, 2018
    Ok thank you!

9. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    The blank could easily be shaped with a file before hardening. After hardening of course, that ain't happening. For the hollow grind it would definitely be much more sensible to use a wheel.