Hollow ground current production?

Capt. Carl

Gold Member
I really enjoy the hollow ground blades but it seems like most of them have changed over to flat grind. Is there any other models in a nice hollow grind besides the code 4 and the tuff lite that you can get now?

The Warcraft Tantos seem to be hollow IF the steel is 4034, Flat ground if 3V.
Doesn't seem to make sense when 3v is designed for maximum strength.
This is probably the most annoying trend in todays market. Finding a super strong steel and making it twice as thick as the other knives, then giving credit to how strong the steel is.
Its like designing a car that gets 100 mpg but then proceed to give it the worlds largest gas tank that increases the weight so much it only gets 25 mpg anyway.

....Anyway...Theres no reason 3v shouldn't be hollow ground *shakes fist in the air*

Me again…I looked at some stuff and noticed the current Kobun (plain edge-don’t have the serrated) in AUS8 is hollow ground as well as the Master Tanto in San Mai. (Someone has mentioned the MT already, my mistake I overlooked but can confirm)

The Kobun is priced so well that one could buy several and if need be, ‘ditch’ it or abuse it, and not suffer too much. That said I don’t know how much longer they will be available to replace. I’ve also seen a gentleman online that uses them as throwers and they hold up.

There are probably more examples. You’ve got me interested in digging! Hope these help. Salute.

Cold Steel American Lawman. I believe comes in a hollow ground drop point blade. 👍
Hmm…just checked and mine is a flat grind. Has the old CS logo, S35VN. Does yours or the one you saw have the newest logo? Cheers
Hmm…just checked and mine is a flat grind. Has the old CS logo, S35VN. Does yours or the one you saw have the newest logo
Ill have to pull it out and check it confirm, but if I’m not mistaken it’s just like the one for sale at any of the major online knife retailers. I checked before I made my previous post and it indicates hollow ground drop point.

Cold Steel American Lawman. I believe comes in a hollow ground drop point blade. 👍
This is the description online. The American Lawman has a versatile, non-threatening hollow ground drop point blade with dual thumb studs. Whether you're cutting or piercing, this blade is accommodating. Its thin, lightweight handle utilizes Cold Steel's Tri-Ad lock, which is exceptionally strong.

Me again…I looked at some stuff and noticed the current Kobun (plain edge-don’t have the serrated) in AUS8 is hollow ground as well as the Master Tanto in San Mai. (Someone has mentioned the MT already, my mistake I overlooked but can confirm)

The Kobun is priced so well that one could buy several and if need be, ‘ditch’ it or abuse it, and not suffer too much. That said I don’t know how much longer they will be available to replace. I’ve also seen a gentleman online that uses them as throwers and they hold up.

There are probably more examples. You’ve got me interested in digging! Hope these help. Salute.
Thank you for all that info! I will look into those although i am primarily interested in folders and non tantos. The koban sounds neat though!

I picked up the ak47 thanks to the suggestion here. Looks like a nice high hollow

This is the description online. The American Lawman has a versatile, non-threatening hollow ground drop point blade with dual thumb studs. Whether you're cutting or piercing, this blade is accommodating. Its thin, lightweight handle utilizes Cold Steel's Tri-Ad lock, which is exceptionally strong.
I looked into this previously and it appears they went to full flat on these when they went to s35vn and dlc unfortunately. A lot of descriptions seems to be outdated even the official cold steel one i believe...weird… If you check on youtube the dlc ones are all flat.

Just a heads up: I received a new production AK-47 folder today, and it now comes with a flat grind which is sharpened all the way to the sharpening choil:
C26F30F8-87DC-4C3D-BCBB-87505D2756B6.jpeg
21806496-41F9-451F-A0C5-AE19D696ABDB.jpeg

Still prefer hollow personally, but that looks pure sex anyway.

Can I ask why the pocket clip looks beat up though for a new knife? Did it come out that way out of the box?
Swapped the clip to one I had already bent outward. Agree, I’d have preferred the hollow grind and will likely try to get one later. I’m working on thinning out the edge on this one though:
5430A54B-0A3C-4B9B-9AEC-861DECB14589.jpeg

I have always loved a good hollow grind, I also think if it's in a super tough steel why not hollow grind :(
I just posted in another thread but the hollow can make a tanto much more usable for EDC use.

Hmm…just checked and mine is a flat grind. Has the old CS logo, S35VN. Does yours or the one you saw have the newest logo? Cheers

The older, thicker version in AUS8 and the "newer" version in CTS-XHP are hollow ground.

All S35VN are flat ground,sadly...

Back