Holy Tearer question

propbuildervash

Gold Member
Hello hogs,

I had a quick question. On the cord wrapped version of the Holy Tearer in D2, I was originally thinking that the cord wrap part of the handle could be carefully untied and was designed in a way that the cord could be replaced as needed. I am starting to believe that may not be possible.

I cannot tell if the cord is just insanely tightly wrapped, or if the cord was coated in some type of resin. It has little to no movement in the strands.

I toyed around with the idea of untying the cord and making custom micarta handles to put on it, but I am at a total loss of a nondestructive way to remove the cord. I am not interested in destroying the original wrap.

Plan B logic would be to leave the handle untouched to make a new handle from scratch. If I go that route that will be a lot harder for me as that is totally outside my wheelhouse and I have never done ANY knifemaking and my toolset is very crude for that type of work and I have no way to heat treat even simpler steels like D2.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions, opinions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello hogs,

I had a quick question. On the cord wrapped version of the Holy Tearer in D2, I was originally thinking that the cord wrap part of the handle could be carefully untied and was designed in a way that the cord could be replaced as needed. I am starting to believe that may not be possible.

I cannot tell if the cord is just inanely tighly wrapped, or if the cord was coated in some type of resin. It has little to no movement in the strands.

I toyed around with the idea of untying the cord and making custom micarta handles to put on it, but I am at a total loss of a nondestructive way to remove the cord. I am not interested in destroying the original wrap.

Plan B logic would be to leave the handle untouched to make a new handle from scratch. If I go that route that will be a lot harder for me as that is totally outside my wheelhouse and I have never done ANY knifemaking and my toolset is very crude for that type of work and I have no way to heat treat even simpler steels like D2.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions, opinions?

Thanks
While I cant answer your question, I will give you a bit of advice. I'm guessing this is a Holy Grail blade to you (it would be for me). I would make it my own, nothing crazy but a nice set of micarta scales would be a great addition. Take a lot of photos before you take the cord off and if you ever want to put it back I'm sure it will not be hard to recreate the original look. Maybe even send the Boss a email and see if it was coated, it could be something someone else added.

If it was mine;

I would take the cord off.

whatever knife you were going to pair it with I would find matching or at least complementary micarta to build scales out of and make removable scales

option 2 would be a cool wrap like the samurai sword style ?

If you plan on using it for extended periods of time, epoxied para-cord is pretty rough on your hands and knuckles

Oh and I would for sure get a sheath for it .

send it in to Utah and It may take 6 to 9 months to design the proper sheath for it, but I am sure Dave can do it :)

Lastly post pics of this beauty please.

I would like to do that, but I have no idea where to find tigerhide micarta. My host blade is a HOG ASH1, unless I can scrounge up broken takeoff scales from former busses, but even that is a looooongshot.

Where the handle is not carried when you install the D-guard blade I think you can get away with different or complimentary micarta.

I'm looking at making a digital handle template, then having a friend mill it from aluminum to ensure the dimensions are spot on. Then sending the final file out to have it laser cut from new stock. For a blade like the tearer would the handle need to be heat treated or is not heat treated steel stock steel material sufficiently strong? I cannot see anyone being able to excessively leverage a HT like a normal blade.

Just heard from Jerry here was his reply. I am sharing the message due to the facinating history.

Jeff,

Both pieces are Heat Treated D2.

My dear friend, Jerry Snyder, wrapped those handles and he had forearms like Popeye!!!

He passed away a number of years ago and unfortunately took his wrapping secrets to the grave.

There are many talented wrap stars out there, but I am not one of them!

Best of luck my friend and congrats on a very rare score!

Jerry

what about the last part of my statement ? :)
Oh and I would for sure get a sheath for it .

send it in to Utah and It may take 6 to 9 months to design the proper sheath for it, but I am sure Dave can do it :)

Lastly post pics of this beauty please.

I knew I made a sheath for one :)

9Ubq6Ba.jpg

lUJYOhg.jpg

lbHqJe0.jpg

Yup, gonna need to get me one of those!

OK the things I do to further the collective knowledge! Please bear in mind this is the cord wrapped version, the dimentsions on the micarta versions are undoubtedly larger in the palm area, this model has a cut out channel on the inside and outside for the paracord to ride in to keep it from migrating over the handle.
Image Gallery

2022-03-13-18-18-44.jpg

As you can see the "knot" is under the wrap.

The first cut is always the hardest! as we start to unwind we see the "knot" was not a knot but two loops pulling on each other then pulled tight and melted to prevent them from retunring back under the wrap.
2022-03-13-18-23-22.jpg

2022-03-13-18-22-50.jpg

2022-03-13-18-23-43.jpg

Now as we get closer we can see the two loops better the top right strand was the melted anchor strand, and the cut stand poking upwards in the image below was where I made the cut to allow me to unwrap the paracord,
2022-03-13-18-23-49.jpg

Now as we get closer we can see the two loops better the top right strand was the melted anchor strand, and the cut stand poking upwards in the image below was where I made the cut to allow me to unwrap the paracord, we can see there were no knots in the cord, just insanely tight wrapping and then pulling the opposing ends taught and letting them with a flare so they could not pull back under the wrap.
2022-03-13-18-24-16.jpg

A naked D2 handle blank! next step is to get a 3D model made and then add back the steel material in the model where the paracord wrap rat to allow the spine to but flat as flush as well as the inside belly. Once I have that, I can get a non-wrapped micarata handle blank laser cut and sent out for heat treat. Once I have the 3d model done I will rewrap the handle with new paracord. I may use the same technique as the original, I may try my hand at an alternate wrap style.
2022-03-13-18-29-58.jpg

Once I have the second handle blank, I will then work to get a set of custom Micarata handles made so I can go with a Micarata handle or wrap handle depending on my mood!.

Last edited:
Nice

way to go make it your own.

not yet :)

I gotta get the 3d template file created so I can make the alternate handle. Once thats done, them I am will get it rewrapped.

Back