Home built grinders

A very nice fellow came to the shop the other day . His name is Mike Alexander from West Virgina.. He sent me to a post on a great looking home built grinder. There are no springs to mees with and it looks very easy to build. Heres the url
http://www.bacafe.org/KBG/

Take a look down the page.

You might want to have a look at the grinders we use. You can see them at http://www.customcutlery.com/grinders.html

They are a little simpler than this other one and can be set up in very little time with very little effort.

The total cost of these outfits are about $600. - $700. and last for a bunch of years, two of mine are going on 13 years old and they are used hard and put away wet ... often.

If you have any other questions or need help getting any of the parts just let me know.

Jim

[This message has been edited by customcutlery (edited 10-14-98).]

Customcutlery
I've been to your site for grinders. I'm an amateur knifemaker and am in the procces of setting up a shop and been thinking of making my own belt grinder. Looks like your using 48" belts. Everyone I've talked to or read says that I should use 72" belts to keep the heat down and the 72" belts will last longer. Does'nt look like you have any platens either, do you have something else for this? It seems that 48" belts are a lot easier to get too, is this why you use them? I live in Ca. and there aren't a whole lot of knife suppliers out here, especially since Blades and stuff folded.
Does anyone else have ideas about this beltgrinder dilema? I would appreciate any coments on this.

David - Check out True Grit in Rancho Cucamonga. They carry a full line of 72" belts. I think Bob Engnath bought his from them. I've used them for several years and am very satisfied.

I've been using an outfit called JISCO (Johnson Industrial)
for belts, they carry A/O, S/C, & Zircon...will make any length
& the only minimum is the width divided into 12", so a minimum of
6 - 2" belts. Prices aren't too bad neither.
Check out the 1-800 directory...I think their #'s listed there.
Harry Jensen
Fresno, CA

I am planning on building a grinder of my own. By the way i live i Denmark and bader, burrking etc dont exist here. I saw the plans in "the bar and grill" a few days before it got listed here and i think i looks good to.
The expensive stuff is the motor and the contact wheel. i think i could be able to build one for around 300 $. have anybody got information on what its like to change belts on the plans listed. I like the way a bader looks ( i nevere tried one) with thwe big handle and spring. looks quick
jens anso

Thanks Darrel...glad to see you moderating this group.
Just hope somebody's copyin' all this stuff into a
digest somewheres...too much good stuff here!!!
FWIW, I got a copy of the Meta Machine grinder plans...
they look pretty good.Cost about $35-$40 if I remember right.
Full template & schematics along with a detailed parts list.
I'll probably build one of these when I get some slack time.
He's also got plans for building your own heat treat oven also.
I'll post the address for the list at the bottom of this message
in case anybody's interested.
(I don't know this guy from adam, but his plans & prices on
contact wheels is pretty good).
Harry Jensen
http://www.top-secret.net/~hjensen
Meta-Machines
P.O. Box 2037
Whitefish, MT
406-862-4868

Back