Home on the Range.

Yep, the 'Coot is right at home on the range. Man, did we have fun last week. :D :p

IM001485.jpg

SpringfieldMilSpecBandicoot.jpg

I just got back from the range. I did not take any rats onto the range though. Here are a couple groups from a M1S rifle (AR 15 w/.223 rem chamber) I just built. The top 2 are 3 shot groups and the bottom 2 are 5 shot groups:
group1.jpg

Not bad for a person with very little skill.

Not bad at all, custom. Any pics of that rifle?

What ammo were you using?

We were shooting 62 grain FMJ Wolf in the 16 inch Bushmaster with a 1 in 9 twist. I know many people do not like that ammo, but it was working good that day. :D

Thanks.

Handloads:
Winchester brass, federal primers;
60 gr Sierra HP, 25.5 G Varget
68 gr hornady match, 25.3 G Varget

Wolf is great for plinking, especially the plastic case ones. The problem with regular wolf is the lacquer case will gum up the chamber and cause case/head seperation on the brass resulting in a stuck case. usually this happens during rapid fire. Personally I would just rather reload. You can get 62 GR penetraters for $35/1000, primers $20/1000, surplus powder for $60-$80 for 8 lbs and you can get LC brass for free at public ranges. And reloading is a fun hobby anyway.
John

And reloading is a fun hobby anyway

I fully agree. As soon as I can get a shop that has room I will be right back on it.

What type of press?

Right now I am using a lee handpress but when I get back from korea I will prolly get a RCBS bench press. I also I want to upgrade to An electronic trimmer and a Digital scale/dispenser.
I would like to get the arbor press but its hard to find wildcat dies for that type of reloading as well as the fact that they only neck size which is a No-No for semiautos.
One note on the handpress. They are great to take to the range with you as you can adjust seating depth on the fly instead of having to cut a range session short. Very important for working uploads for those of us who don't have property to shoot on.

I started out on an RCBS Rock Chucker, and have done a lot of loading on the 550 B Dillon.

You cannot go wrong with either of those two. I can't comment on others since I have never used them. I like reloading fast, but I also like taking my own sweet time, looking at every single detail.

Many people reload just to save money. I reload b/c I love the science of it. Cheaper ammo is just a side benefit to me.

Why are you in Korea? Serving in the military?

Yep I am going to Korea in Feb for a short tour (USAF)then coming back to the states and headin for Utah. I hate leavin my family but man are we lookin foreward to getting off the east coast.
I started on RCBS as well then had to sell, when I got back into it I used the Lee o-ring press and now I just use the lee handloader. Lee is good equip for a beginner but its hard to produce benchrest quaility with there stuff. The one piece of lee gear that is impressive is the Collet neck sizing dies. They always produce top notch ammo but then again they are limited to bolt guns only.

Very nice. I especially like the DMR style rifle with the A2 style stock. I love the M16A4 concept, and may have to build one of those one day.