Homemade Survival Candle !

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by pitdog, Oct 17, 2011.

1. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Thought I'd have a go at making one of these last night. You fill an old Salmon/Tuna can with corrugated cardboard, add a Jute wick and then fill the whole thing with molten wax. I've not tried it yet but the cardboard is supposed to burn down like a wick resulting in a large flame over the entire surface of the tin.
    It is said that these can even act as an emergency stove.

Anyone else tried one before ?

[​IMG]

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Never tried that before, but it sounds like a plausible idea. Test it out and take some pics! :D:thumbup:

3. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    I bet it works. Ive used kite string and bacon fat before. It worked great.

4. Iron City

Iron City Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2005
    They call them "buddy burners", have heard the boy scouts use them for cooking for their tin can stoves. Search on YouTube for videos.

5. DD214

DD214

Jan 21, 2010
    Yup...made my first in boy scouts some 50 years ago. I must add, mine were much more attractive.

6. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Pffft !:yawn:

:D

7. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    When I was a little kid we would make our own candles on the farm. Great job pitdog.

Bryan

8. H0tR0d

H0tR0d

May 9, 2009
    i make mine using campbell soup cans and even went so far as using a coffee can. Burns great, ashless fire and a large circle of fire around 4-5 inches tall. gotta love them.

9. Doc_Savage

Doc_Savage Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2009

We made them in the Cub Scouts for emergency candles, and to cook over with a tin stove.... The can also be used to start a fire. Looks like you got a little too much wax in there... We also used Gulf Wax (paraffin)... guess they thought it was a little safer to burn. I still make them that way... You can store then easily and they last for a long time.
    Nice job..

Doc_Savage

10. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    I lit it up tonight in my wood stove, I let it burn for about 30 minutes and it had just started to spread to the cardboard~

[​IMG]

11. Les Snyder

Les Snyder

Jul 6, 2010
    kind of a repost, but yea... Scouts back in the early 60s....shoepolish tins....for both 3 wick candles and paraffin cook stoves (we used heavy braded cotton cord for wick)... carried an extra 1/4 lb block of Gulf Paraffin as fuel for both...for jamboree camping Gerber baby food jars for mini hurricane lamps

12. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Nice photo! :cool::thumbup:

13. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Lit the candle up again tonight...this is how they should be !!!

[​IMG]

14. jbob24

jbob24

Sep 23, 2010
    We used to make those with big coffee cans when I was little, I had forgotten all about them. I think we made ours with rolls of TP tho :)

I'll have to make a few again for fun and try not to burn my house down :p

15. mark_r

mark_r

Oct 6, 2010
    I haven't made them in a couple of years...guess what the cubs will be doing on there hike in a couple of weeks? Thanks for the reminder.

16. Flipincanadian

Flipincanadian

Jan 28, 2004
    I've seen those mentioned online various places, i've also seen a version that uses a TP roll inside a can using ethanol for fuel, obviously not quite as portable though.

17. theobetts

theobetts

Nov 4, 2004
    Nice work, I am going to have to try my hand at making one.

18. Switchblade61

Switchblade61

Nov 11, 2009
    Here's mine.
    I have used a tin-can with a lid, so I can keep it cleaner and also, it's easier to extinguish the flames by putting the lid on.

[​IMG]

19. 6shooter

6shooter

Sep 12, 2009
    I've made em outta tuna cans before. They'll burn for well over an hour, probably closer to 2. Nice to have one in the bag, especially in winter, it'd be an easy to light heat source that'll get your hands nice and warm, and still have plenty of burn time left to get a real fire going if needed.

20. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave

Mar 12, 2011
    Something like this might be a nice addition to an Emberlit stove. Hmmm...

Dave