Hope this question is allowed

Just querying how the HI khuks compare to the KH ones - not wanting to open a can of worms or start a flame war-I own neither yet and am genuinely curious, want to make sure my hard earned bucks go to the best makers, not wasted on junk...

On a Himalayan Imports company forum, I would hope you get unbiased, honest, informed opinions that will convince you HI products are unsurpassed for value and performance.

(We don't discuss Benchmade knives on the Spyderco forum, either. :D )

I will leave it to the forum moderators to decide if this might fit in the Cantina, though.

I moved this to the Cantina. This has been asked before several times and there are a few threads on the attributes of both companies. If someone happens to have them handy please feel free to post the links.

Welcome to the forum iBlade:thumbup: Granted, you probably are going to find more information swaying you toward an HI khuk over a KH khuk simply because 1) they are favored by most and 2) they have a representation here on BFC in the forum of this forum where KH does not.

Now, KH does make a nice khuk. I have handled one a couple of times, but never felt the need to purchase anything other than an HI. Not all khuks are the same, and HI certainly is the best you can get. Factor in pricing having a khuk shipped to you from Reno NV (if you are in the CONUS) compared to straight from Nepal, and the price is almost a wash. Then, factor in that you have Yangdu Martino to do business with. A quick search of the boards will show that Yangdu is one very classy lady that has earned a well respected reputation of being fair and over delivering.
Finally, you get HI's lifetime warranty on the khuk itself. Basically, if it ever fails you, just let Yangdu know. She'll get it straightened out in a hurry:D:thumbup:

So, will all that said, what are you looking for in a khuk? Maybe we can help you out?

Once again, WELCOME:)

Just querying how the HI khuks compare to the KH ones - not wanting to open a can of worms or start a flame war-I own neither yet and am genuinely curious, want to make sure my hard earned bucks go to the best makers, not wasted on junk...

Depends. IMO the major advantage to the HI ones are if they fail you can return them and get a new one. VERY hard to do with overseas stuff.

Setting aside the obvious considerations of postage and customs charges if in a different country.... the biggest on-paper specification difference (this isn't a comment on either quality or durability) would seem to be not so much between HI and KH, as between either of these and the Tora brand - which tends towards less-heavy kukri design for comparable usage.

Granted, this is JMHO but, i did a helluva lot of research on this before laying my hard earned money down, as most of us probably have but in my opinion KH makes a nice khukuri,they are decently fit and finished and are quite servicable, Tora makes a fine khukuri,well fit and finished ,collector grade and very servicable. H.I. makes THE FINEST well fit and finished,collector grade servicable khukuri....with a lifetime guarantee.

iBlade is posting from New Zealand which may have some effect on his decision.

Completely by coincidence, I got a package from New Zealand this morning! Not the first time, either. Mail between NZ and the US seems fast and reliable.

G'day iBlade,

I've purchased two HI Khuk's and am very impressed with their quality and sheer awesome strength and they have a 'presence' which few other blades ever achieve!

The service from HI's Yangdu via either DOTD (Deal Of The Day - check the forum daily for specials that can save you heaps) or thru the online store is 1st class and very quick: 5 or 6 days after paying the order has arrived at my front door - Nevada to New South Wales - truly outstanding!!!:thumbup:

I intend getting a Tora kukri for Christmas. It will then be interesting when I have the chance to compare it to the HI products. I will be happy to let you know my opinions then...

You may get a good khukuri from someone else. You will get a great khukuri from H.I.
My unbiased .02 worth.

--Mike L.

I intend getting a Tora kukri for Christmas. It will then be interesting when I have the chance to compare it to the HI products. I will be happy to let you know my opinions then...

I've got a couple of Tora's too, but I've only tested the larger one. It's a beaut, but a completely different edge geometry. More mass closer to the edge, so it'll take more abuse, but won't bite quite as deep. Mr. Hengle pointed out this was mostly as a consideration for the khuk as a combat weapon which could see some detrimental steel-on-steel contact and go long periods without sharpening. The only combat I had in mind for it was against unruly trees on a friend's property. :D

ToraHIghlandAndOfficersDuiChirra200.jpg

If you're like me and are likely to be pitting it againt wood and the like, I've heard their Butcher's Khukuri is rather effective. Has a neat just-forged look like HI's True Villagers too.

If you're like me and are likely to be pitting it againt wood and the like, I've heard their Butcher's Khukuri is rather effective. Has a neat just-forged look like HI's True Villagers too.
Their "sherpa chaura" is a very efficient chopper, but fast/light enough to be a good slicer as well. In decent weather my first-choice working kukri is a 16"-bladed sirupate from the "sherpa" line - in weight it's like the HI Kobras of equivalent length.
Unfortunately this past summer has been so miserably wet* here I've often resorted to a Chinese-made stainless steel slicer (they're sold in the USA as well, less than $20) instead. Better that than repeatedly soaking a good kukri of any make. :(

* still is; rain's been bucketing down today and there's a strong wind as well.

An excellent product fears no comparison. :cool:

Try both- or all three makers- and see which you buy another from.

And another.... and another...

Mike :D

Their "sherpa chaura" is a very efficient chopper, but fast/light enough to be a good slicer as well. In decent weather my first-choice working kukri is a 16"-bladed sirupate from the "sherpa" line - in weight it's like the HI Kobras of equivalent length.
Unfortunately this past summer has been so miserably wet* here I've often resorted to a Chinese-made stainless steel slicer (they're sold in the USA as well, less than $20) instead. Better that than repeatedly soaking a good kukri of any make. :(

Their Sherpa line are quite easy on the eyes as well. :thumbup:

Hmm. I once took my Khadka Samsher out in the pouring rain to cut down a tree on a friend's father's lot.. took about 30-45 minutes to fell and limb it, pouring the whole time. Dried off the Sam, and she'd no worse off than when she started.

But if you were concerned, I wonder if an etch or patina would help prevent water-related corrosion?

But if you were concerned, I wonder if an etch or patina would help prevent water-related corrosion?
Might do; and I've now got a couple of billhooks as well as the kukris...... any of them gets a clean/wipe over with Ballistol after it's been used. Unless there was heavy cutting to see to the Chinese cheapie is ok though, especially with having a poly-whatever handle so it can be laid on the wet ground.

I didn't know anyone else made a khuk besides HI. ;)

+1 on the HI service. I think HI also has gotten the handle proportions right for western hands (at least on most models). Nepalis tend to be smaller and small handles can be a problem.

I've never dealt with Khukri House or Tora, so I can't really comment on their quality. Enough knife people use their products that you can safely say they're not in the junk category. The chief minus for KH is shipping - prices are cheap, but don't include shipping.

Last comment is that ALL good khukuris are hand-forged and show considerable variation from blade to blade, even within models. Consider blade thickness and mass in your decision. If you're picky or have a specific use in mind, Yangdu can choose a specific khuk from what's in stock to best meet your needs. Modifications are also popular - sharpening, handle shaping, and otherwise tweaking.

Back