Hope y'all had a great Christmas

I'm back, what's left of me anyhow. Don't none of you young folks out there be stupidly hardheaded like me. After taking my daughter home to Springhill, Florida (a 4 hour drive), I decided to push on for home (a 19 hour drive). Got home fine, if a bit tired, but in retrospect driving 23 hours at a lick is something I would have chewed any of my airmen's a$$es off for doing. It ain't smart, it ain't safe, don't do it. In honesty, it was plumb foolish, and I'm nothing less than ashamed of myself. God watches over fools and children, this fool owes him many debts.

To hear that Kumar is going to pull through, and that Yangdu was able to take some downtime for herself is like getting two late Christmas presents. :) I hope you all had a great holiday, and wish you all health and good fortune in the coming new year. Don't know what the new year holds, but I wish I was still in uniform, sooner or later something's going to have to be done about Iran.

Spent some time while I was in Florida down in Saint Augustine, checking out the Old Spanish Quarter living history museum. Hung out mostly with the blacksmith and the carpenter. They realized after a few minutes of conversation that I was not your average tourist ;) and pretty soon we were thick as thieves, comparing notes, sharing tips, and swapping ideas. The blacksmith shared my love of making reproduction period knives, and showed me some fine one's he'd forged from big old files. In a word, I was right at home, and left there with an open invitation from the museum staff to come back and work there if I take a notion. Good stuff, you can check 'em out at this web site: http://www.historicstaugustine.com/csq/info.html

Good to be back, missed you guys :)

Sarge

We're glad to have ya back, Sarge:) See! We TOLD you that your work was museum quality:)

Jake

....love St. Augustine. Cute 'lil town. Friend of mine owns a candle-making shop there.

Glad to see ya back.

Add one more bit of good news to the pile = Bill Sanders checked in from the Sandbox. :thumbup:

Daniel Koster said:
Add one more bit of good news to the pile = Bill Sanders checked in from the Sandbox. :thumbup:

That is good news, much progress has been made over there, but things are still pretty dicey. Hate to sound like a pessimist, but this war on terrorism isn't winding down, it's just getting started. Iran and Syria come to mind, but there are many other less publicized hot spots, and, oh by the way, I still want to see Bin Laden's head on a stick. Hope Bill and his guys know how much we back home appreciate them taking the fight to some and hope to others.

Sarge

Good to have you back Sarge!!!!:thumbup: I hope I didn't overload your inbox as I sent only what I thought were the best ones.;)

Hung out mostly with the blacksmith and the carpenter. They realized after a few minutes of conversation that I was not your average tourist
They sound like a couple of pretty perceptive guys:D Welcome home, and have a happy new year!
Berk

Last time I tried a driving stunt like that I ended up in pretty bad shape. I'm not 20 any more.

My Christmas was fine. I have my 89 dollar leather jacket. My present to my wife made it to Billings but never made it here. JC Penny is looking into it. Naturally, one of the items is no longer available.

munk

Good to travel. Great to come back home.

St. Augustine has a really neat fort made of coquina, a kind of natural shell-cement.

I drove 13.5 hrs myself, from Plantation Key to the Fla. panhandle last Monday. A bear.

Part of it was just to see if I still could, so I understand you... :thumbup:

Mike

Forged a blade this evening, just a small one but felt good to feel the hammer in my hand, see the steel glowing from the heat, and hear the water hiss and bubble. Ancient peoples believed blacksmiths to be magicians of a sort, because in their craft they mastered fire, air, water, and earth. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. Magical? Maybe not to those who analyze everything scientifically, but to me, yes, I can feel the magic, it makes my heart smile.

Sarge

Sylvrfalcn said:
Forged a blade this evening, just a small one but felt good to feel the hammer in my hand, see the steel glowing from the heat, and hear the water hiss and bubble. Ancient peoples believed blacksmiths to be magicians of a sort, because in their craft they mastered fire, air, water, and earth. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. Magical? Maybe not to those who analyze everything scientifically, but to me, yes, I can feel the magic, it makes my heart smile.

Sarge

Yup, I believe it's magical.:D The smell of the hot steel and the forge has a magic all it's own too.;)

The museum sounds really interesting.
When we lived in Jacksonville in the mid/later '40's I really wanted to see the old fort, The Castillo de San Marcos, built 1672-1695, served primarily as an outpost of the Spanish Empire, guarding St. Augustine. http://www.nps.gov/casa/
One day we were fishing as usual on the weekend and nothing was biting and being a kid I bulled up and mom finally talked the old man into taking us.
When we started through the old fort the old man came alive and enjoyed it as much or maybe more than I did.
I'd really like to see it again with adult eyes and see if I could feel the magic I felt when I was a kid. I bet I would, stopped in at the museum in Prescott Arizona in '75 and was transfered back to the feelings I had when I was just a little kid and mom took me through the old house. I'll never forget the dress worn by the governor's wife that was made partially with copper threads.
It was still there in '75.:cool: :D

Back