Horizontal Belt Sheath to fit...

FOG2

Gold Member
A fixed blade knife made similar to the Cold Steel Tuff Lite.
This is a test to see if I like carrying a knife horizontally at probably the 1 am position.

Advise from fixed blade edc guys on how you carry is welcomed.

I thought I should add...

"Inexpensive" is relative, and if Matt doesn't offer a sheath for your knife, you'll have to mail it to him. Two-way shipping will definitely increase the costs. However (*again, in my humble opinion), the costs are worth it. The three sheaths above, that house my TOPS Tex Creek/Tex Creek 69/Baja 3.0, I've been carrying for years. They have performed exceptionally.

I wear my fixies at about 11 o'clock, with the knife handle acting like a belt buckle.

All the usual disclaimers...Your mileage may vary, yada, yada, yada.

Happy hunting.

Thanks for the info !
This is purely a test to see if I want to have a custom knife and sheath built for me.
So inexpensive to me for this test, is under $50.00... Way under would be nice.

I'm in the other camp. I wanted to like horizontal and canted sheaths; but I just don't. The knives that came with those type sheaths rarely get carried. That's me, though - I'm weird - I know it, and embrace it.
I usually carry kydex inverted.

I use Armatus for another Izula 2 or ESEE 3 but I also like this leather attachment that I bought on eBay for $20 which uses the factory sheath. Either this or Armatus works great for horizontal. I also use the ESEE factory spring clip to carry IWB blade forward at 8:30 or 9 o’clock.image.jpg

The hard part of finding a sheath is the Short,tall,Wharnie Blade the Tuff Lite has.

Kydex? Make sure you get one that has different options. This one with a Becker BK-11 in it is from Randy Bagwell. It has a G-Clip with holes to carry vertical, horizontal or in between, and mount a small firesteel if you want also.
tkhU3Yr.jpg
wuXGObp.jpg

I really would like it to be leather. I may call some Knife Retailers, they might be my best chance.

Ebay. There’s a guy on there who makes really nice sheaths out of bridle leather and the price is nice. (Not many over $20)

If you don’t see what you need he’ll make you one custom for the same cost. Hit me up if you can’t find him and I’ll PM info.

I'm in the other camp. I wanted to like horizontal and canted sheaths; but I just don't. The knives that came with those type sheaths rarely get carried. That's me, though - I'm weird - I know it, and embrace it.
Same.... I REALLY wanted to like it, but I don't, so much.
I even tried clinch pic style.

For (me) trying all different carry options, pushed me into learning how to make my own. Making kydex sheaths is So Easy!

And then you can get them Exactly how you want them.

I make practice models out of soda pop/beer cases and duct tape.
It helps with the scale, and heights, and angles.

I carry modified IWB

Getting it just right can be difficult with respect to angle and circumstances can change throughout the day. This caused me to fall in love with the adjustable clip system on a bunch of the Sanrenmu, Ruike, and Real Steel knives. The belt clip rotates and locks into place with a tab. So you just press the tab to adjust. It allows for quick and easy switching between horizontal and canted for changes like driving.

I'll be having RK Custom Kydex make me a better sheath for my Ruike Jager and I plan to preserve hole spacing for the clip.

Getting it just right can be difficult with respect to angle and circumstances can change throughout the day. This caused me to fall in love with the adjustable clip system on a bunch of the Sanrenmu, Ruike, and Real Steel knives. The belt clip rotates and locks into place with a tab. So you just press the tab to adjust. It allows for quick and easy switching between horizontal and canted for changes like driving.

I'll be having RK Custom Kydex make me a better sheath for my Ruike Jager and I plan to preserve hole spacing for the clip.
I like the rotating and adjustable option a lot !

The Custom knife and Sheath await these test results. Fixed blade carry is new to me and I don't wanna spend custom money untilill I find I like it.

Thanks forthe suggestions folks ! Anymore ?

For small to medium sized blades, I love horizontal carry at 10-11 o’clock position. It allows for access from any position or activity (such as riding atv, hiking, driving) and is out of the way when walking through brush. You can draw with either hand if need be. Finding the spot you prefer carrying is very important. Scout carry in the back looks great, but you need to consider comfort if you are seated leaning against things, ease of access and re-sheathing. I started carrying horizontal in front/left side around 25 years ago after getting my first Dozier knife. I also like being able to carry the same blades/kydex sheaths tip up on waders and snow bib straps. The Tek-Lok style attachments are handy but can be a little thick if using the larger ones. If you are able to visit a knife shop and handle the different styles I think you will find that it is worth trying horizontal carry (at least some).

I prefer the forward canted vertical pancake sheaths. There are a bunch of people on BFC that make sheaths.

View attachment 1965914View attachment 1965921
Are you left handed carrying that on the right and drawing with your left (crossdraw) or is that right side with a reverse grip edge out forward cant?

If you’re right handed that’s exactly how I carry most of mine at 2-3 o’clock. When you draw the knife it’s in a reverse grip with the edge out.

If you need to use the knife for utility it’s easy to flip it around. If you need to use it for defense you have the option of an overhead stab, forward strike with the pommel, a slash with the edge, or just punching with your fist (with the handle acting as a palm load. It’s a strong grip with options that let you use the natural force of a hammer blow or a punch.

Are you left handed carrying that on the right and drawing with your left (crossdraw) or is that right side with a reverse grip edge out forward cant?

If you’re right handed that’s exactly how I carry most of mine at 2-3 o’clock. When you draw the knife it’s in a reverse grip with the edge out.

If you need to use the knife for utility it’s easy to flip it around. If you need to use it for defense you have the option of an overhead stab, forward strike with the pommel, a slash with the edge, or just punching with your fist (with the handle acting as a palm load. It’s a strong grip with options that let you use the natural force of a hammer blow or a punch.

Yep, I agree and I'm right-handed. I wear my Glock in a shoulder harness so that lets me wear my knife on the right side on my belt. The forward cant also helps keep the tip from digging into the seat cushion while I'm driving or sitting.

Back