Horrible quality control for the vantage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had some bad Bucks. I’ve had bad Case, ZT, Spyderco, Hen & Rooster, Benchmade, etc...

The problem is that you come here bashing a brand because of a single experience. Did you really expect a warm, empathetic welcome when you went from a civil explanation of your issue to a total melt down?

If you would have posted asking for suggestions; within the first couple of responses you would have heard about the soft screws and lock-tite. Buck would have fixed, or replaced it even though taking their knives apart voids the warranty.

bigguyforyou - Please post pictures of your knife with lockup and stripped screws as well as your cut finger. I have had problems with stripping screws even when using the correct driver. Small screws are not very tough.

Wow..........I rarely hear anybody say "Buck is garbage."
You're pretty unique.
You should realize that Buck is a big company with a lot of different knives.
Some of the new TacktyKool knives may have a few problems. They are complicated little items.
Sometimes they're not perfect.......some might be garbage, I don't know because I don't use them. I do know you're not supposed to take them apart. The screws are probably meant to be replaced by Buck when BUCK gets done fixing it. Did it make a lot of noise going through your grinder?
Get yourself a 110.......it won't fail.
Or maybe a 105 like this.......it will never fold up on you.
:D

824679.jpg

Just a suggestion: If you feel that a liner lock needs to be tested for integrity, apply a static load while keeping your fingers in a safe location and visually check for deflection of the locking tab. Alternatively, you can wait until someone posts about cutting themselves while spine whacking their knife on their laptop. In any case, don't put your own fingers in peril when there is somebody willing to do it for you.

In over 55 years of using folding knives, mostly slip joints that do not have a blade lock of any kind, I have never had a blade close on me while using the knife to cut something. The same holds true when using a friction folder, like an Opinel, without using the twist lock.
Just because you "grew up" using a knife with a locking blade, and were never taught how to use a knife properly is not Buck's fault.
Now, before you get all huffy and show your ignorance by claiming "any knife without a locking blade is unsafe" (or words to that effect) consider this fact:
People have been using slip joints since the 1700's. They have been using friction folders even longer. (Note the above mentioned Opinel. While they have only been in production since roughly 1895, the twist lock, or ring lock, if you prefer, was not added until 1955, and even then, only on the size 6 and above. The size 5 and smaller do not have a blade lock. On the size 6 and above, use of the lock is optional. Many even take the lock ring off.)
When using a knife properly, the cutting action forces the blade open.
On a slip joint, the only purpose of the back spring is to keep the blade closed when not in use.
Most people do not have any need to stab cars or trucks. I know for a fact that in my 62 years on this rock, I have never had reason to ... And I doubt my great grandfathers did, either. (Both born circa 1890)
If you need to stab steel with a knife, you are using the wrong tool.

Buck has been making a good, durable, and affordable knife for over 100 years.

As stated by others, "just because it has a screw does not mean it is meant to be taken apart."
I would be wiling to bet you never even considered the possibility that Buck used something like red locktite to prevent the screws from coming out.
If you would bother to read the paperwork that came with your knife, you would see it specifically states not to take the knife apart.
By your own testimony, "the knife worked just fine for months" and "it only failed when you intentionally gave it a hard spine whack" which no doubt exerted far more stress to the lock than you would while using the knife the way it is designed to be used.
You talk of "the echo chamber" in the Spiderco forum.
Checkout the echo chamber in the Cold Steel forum. It is much, much worse than that of Spiderco.
If you are insane enough to mention a problem with a Cold Steel product in their forum, you will be driven out.

You might also want to consider the "intent to carry a weapon" laws in your location.
Cold Steel calls all of their products a "weapon" in their description. Just think what an anti-knife DA can (and will) do with that should you ever be facing a judge.
While you may claim "I was not carrying a weapon ..." The prosecuting "attorney" will counter "The manufacturer says it is a weapon and markets it as a weapon ..."

Good to see the circle-jerk brigade on the march.

I could have "contacted" Buck to let the know that their knives don't work, but I'm busy and don't feel like waiting on a company to fix what should have already been fixed before the product left the factory. The time wasted on them is worth more than the cost of the knife.

Spine-whacking is basically a necessity to check the integrity of a lock. Why wait until the blade cuts your fingers off?

Spine whacking is notorious for actually damaging the lock. The contact area between the lockbar and the tang is very small and liable to be damaged from strikes such as this. Even more so with softer metals like titanium. On a properly built liner/framelock the lockface only contacts the tang with a small corner of itself. This plus the stop pin and pivot forms a triangle which is what they are going for.

Rather I recommend holding the knife in a way so your fingers are not in the blade path and trying to force the blade shut with the knife locked open. If there is an issue you will likely see lockslip or lockrock. Beyond that you could do some spine “taps”. Whacks like you see done on many youtube videos are damaging especially to frame and linerlocks.

I do agree that more companies should use better quality heat treated screws.

I kinda recall that Buck LockTites the small screws. They are not really meant for user disassembly and you'll have these problems if you try without knowing how.

Side story. An old friend of mine used to have an Airgun specialty shop. Man comes in with a Crosman 357 air pistol completely disassembled in a zip lock bag. Story is his son took it apart to see how it works and couldn't get it back together. Man comes back a few days later to pick up the gun, this time with his son in tow. Bob hands the reassembled gun back to the father, leans over to the boy and tells him not to disassemble the gun this time. The boy responds.... "Hear that dad?"
Sometimes people just can't admit to their own foolishness.

Yeah, the day after "Vopr" gets banned from a thread, this new account starts up this rant......Hmmmm.

>muh shill conspiracy against me, they're all conspiring against me and my Buck!

You need to go outside for a little while, get a breath of fresh air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back