Horseradish

What is the best Prepared Horseradish?
I'm not ready to make my own, & just can't find a great "take your breath away" store brand.

Sigifrith said:
just can't find a great "take your breath away" store brand.
Ain't that the truth. Gold's isn't bad, but it's not real hot. Don't bother with the red, though, just the white.

Chrein, ahhh ...

Esav Benyamin said:
Ain't that the truth. Gold's isn't bad, but it's not real hot. Don't bother with the red, though, just the white.

Chrein, ahhh ...

Gold's has 2 whites, the white (I find just like red) and the hot and creamy white. If you are looking for hot, try the second. ;)

Julian

Boar's Head Pub Style Horseradish Sauce. Spread this on roast beef. Yum!

All the best stuff I find is made by local farmers, and one of them told me to keep it fresh store it upside down, couldn't explain why it worked just knew it did.

... horseradish SAUCE ... :barf:

Once when I was a little kid, I was sitting in my grandmother's kitchen with my uncle. She had just finished grating horseradish and my uncle took a taste. He complained that it wasn't hot, it hardly had any flavor, and took a forkful and held it out to me, asking me to taste it and tell him what I thought.

Thoughtlessly, I took the whole forkful and swallowed.

The top of my head felt like it just blew off, my eardrums exploded, my sinuses melted down. My eyes burned. I heard a roaring in my ears .. it was my grandmother yelling at my uncle for tricking me like that ... :(

If you get to the West Coast there is a brand called Beaver (It's really called that) from Oregon that is excellent.

Beaver is good...no really, it is!!

Tulelake is another good brand.

Esav Benyamin said:
... horseradish SAUCE ... :barf:

The top of my head felt like it just blew off, my eardrums exploded, my sinuses melted down. My eyes burned. I heard a roaring in my ears .. it was my grandmother yelling at my uncle for tricking me like that ... :(

Unfortunately, I haven't found a prepared horseradish that has that "blow your mind" effect that fresh-grated does. BUT, if you really want to clear your sinuses, try the homemade hot mustard that Chinese restaurants serve in a squeeze bottle. I don't know how they make that stuff, but it's like a bomb going off behind your sinuses. If anyone knows how to make it, I'd like to hear about it.

Bill

WilliePete said:
Unfortunately, I haven't found a prepared horseradish that has that "blow your mind" effect that fresh-grated does. BUT, if you really want to clear your sinuses, try the homemade hot mustard that Chinese restaurants serve in a squeeze bottle. I don't know how they make that stuff, but it's like a bomb going off behind your sinuses. If anyone knows how to make it, I'd like to hear about it.

Bill

I buy it in powdered form and add water to make it as strong as you like.

I don't recall a brand name but look in the ethnic food aisle at your local supermarket.

Horseradish needs to be stored upside down to preserve the fumes which add to the "bite". Wasabi needs to be stored upside down as well.

Back