Hot Tip on Cheap Belts

About as often as he replaces the hampster. I told him he needs to feed it once in awhile.

You've probably heard Tom mention his variable speed grinder... Well, that's only if he uses the whip.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

[This message has been edited by GaKnife (edited 05-24-2000).]

actually...im really mean, and when they dont perform i just shoot them and get another one....after jerry saw me do that about three times he quit and went back to the swamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

hope mine don't break. they're big 3"x132" so they'll hurt! plus they cost $11 each, so they hurt the wallet too!

I had one of those bubble belts that are made for removing scale come apart on me once. It got my attention in a BIG way!!!! Hurt like HAIL...

Trace Rinaldi

This thread just reminded me about the time when I ground off about 3/16ths of the tip of my right thumb with an 80 grit aluminum oxide belt. Man, did that burn! I mean, you look down and your thumb is square! Then the pain hits you and it starts bleeding and boy did it bleed! It's weird how much those kind of injuries sting in comparison to cutting yourself. Given the choice, I would rather have the tip of my finger cut off than have it ground off. The cut will hurt waaaaaaay less
smile.gif

------------------
Regards
Joshua "Kage" Calvert

"Move like Water, strike like Thunder..."

Usually when I grind off a piece of finger or knuckle, I don't even notice it until I spot the white spot in the middle of the grime on my hands. That's followed by the blood and the pain, but I've noticed the order is not always consistent. It is certainly predictable however. The most painful belt injuries though have to be when your concentration lapses and your finger gets into the side of the belt. 3M Micron belts are the worst for that. Damn that hurts!

By actual count, I am now healing from one belt cut, a knuckle resurfacing, a knife cut, and one of unknown etiology. Gosh, I love this job!

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

I ran accross some older 60 grit belts that had been around a while and when I fired them up it was like driving behind a semi shredding a tire-lesson learned

Mr Hossom,
I have those late nights when I start to see 2 grinders and four hands, Thats when I just gotta stop. I have tried gloves but every pair is new and the first finger has holes on the side of them. The leather does soak up the blood fairly well though.
smile.gif

------------------
Scott Jones
Heck yea I invented it ...What is it???
I only do what the voices in my wifes head tell me to do.
It's kinda like hangin, you never get used to it.

Could someone please post the contact info for James Poplin?? Thanks!! Michael

------------------
Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

hey jer=if you turn the belts around with the smooth side out that never happens..just a tip to make your day better...your pal tom

Micron belt, Jerry?
Nothing like a paper cut times 10! Those boogers HURT!!! ....and they hurt FAST!!!

C Wilkins

not the hampster, we just barbequed the last one....just got lectricty over here in huwyya so wont be needin the hampsters or the possum, i mean hossum power any more!!!

the easy way to get rid of scale is to sand blast the steel saves like hell on belts

------------------
All that is not Given Is Lost

Back