how 2 clean axis lock?

boogeyman

BANNED
Is their a proper way to disassemble the axis lock and clean it? If not, what should I use to clean it that will not cause a build-up of "gunk" ?

You can clean by using some warm soapy water and a small brush, like say a tooth brush or one of those small round brushes that come with some elec. shavers. After cleaning out you can blow out the moisture with compressed air. That stuff in a can for blowing out keyboards works fine. It is not really necessary to take the knife apart. If you do so get a good #10 torx for the pivot and I think it is a #6 for the other torx screws. After all cleaning and drying apply a small amount of lube to the pivot.

I have some dental tools sitting around that work great for cleaning gunk out of my axis lock.

A spray can of brake parts cleaner works well on the all-metal knives. Don't use it on plastic, though.
If you do clean with soap and water, I recommend heating the knife with a hair dryer to evaporate any hidden moisture. You can then flush the inaccessible areas with WD 40 and wipe dry. Use a good oil to lubricate the moving parts after the WD 40 evaporates.
Bill

When mine are really filthy (deer "fluid" was the worse), hot soapy water (Tide is good and repeat as neccessary), followed by compressed air to blow out anything in there and to dry.

If it's just dusty, compressed air only.

Lube/preserve with Militec or other non-tacky lube substance.

Back