How about a Fiddleback group buy????

BIG DEAL has already changed his mind
He regrets starting this idea with a HB instead of a Handyman? ;)

I am for either one, Osage and Andy picks the liners. Commando for all I care- I just think it would be a damn fine EDC.

Bill

3/32 DIW Handyman; commando, thick natural, or even better - natural with blue stripes would be crazy sweet. I’d be totally on board.

As far timing, I’m fine waiting as long as it takes. I’m sure it would be faster than waiting and trying to shark. Plus it would be really cool to be a part of the special buy club.

What a great idea this is! Big Deal indeed!

Was planning to wait for the official thread that phillip referred to but if posting in this thread helps make a decision by getting a potential head count.....I’m in.

I’m thrilled for this HB group buy, I have 2 and I love the model! However, @Fiddleback I’ve never owned a Handyman and EVERYONE keeps saying that a 3/32” Handyman is the bomb! So if you were to change it to a Handyman group buy I’ll still be in because I’d love to try a new model!! In either way though my friend. Thanks for being awesome.

Handyman would be my preference as well, but if we defer to the originator of this splendid idea then I’m fine with that, too. I also agree with the suggestion made somewhere that it would be nice if it carried a special mark - either to the group or (better) in honor of Bmurray Bmurray

Handyman would be my preference as well, but if we defer to the originator of this splendid idea then I’m fine with that, too. I also agree with the suggestion made somewhere that it would be nice if it carried a special mark - either to the group or (better) in honor of Bmurray Bmurray
Mmmmm please NOT an image of Hillary's jockstrap! ;)

Can we get a pic of the two side by side? Can’t think of how a HandyMan looks compared to a Hiking Buddy

Can we get a pic of the two side by side? Can’t think of how a HandyMan looks compared to a Hiking Buddy
Also relatively new to the FF family, but I can assure you that you can find MANY pics of the two side-by-side by searching this forum or google. In fact, a google search for one of them will probably turn up numerous images of both together. Many will be from the sales threads where they are typically presented together. For a very special pair, look at the Fiddleback Friday 12/15/2017 thread.
Enjoy! There are lots of beauties to admire
:)

ETA: There are also numerous threads comparing the two and discussing the relative merits of each.

Last edited:

@mwramos76 Btw, The Handyman is the top one and the Hiking Buddy is the bottom on in the pic. That one is at a bit of an angle but the Handyman blade is slightly taller and OAL is longer, and the handle is slightly taller. Here are some specs from a couple of mine, noting that the blade blank is usually the same length within any given model and since they're custom, the handle length can vary a bit.

Handyman 3.125 4.438 7.563
Handyman 3.188 4.375 7.563
Handyman 3.250 4.313 7.563
Handyman 3.250 4.313 7.563
Hiking Buddy 3.250 4.000 7.250
Hiking Buddy 3.380 3.870 7.250
Hiking Buddy 3.190 4.060 7.250

Sounds like the Forge could easily do two group buys. Maybe a round of AEB-L Old School Ladyfingers should be third... :D

I don't own either of these models, and I haven't had the opportunity to handle a 3/32 Handyman only 1/8 TT. I did have the chance to play with a 3/32 Hiking Buddy thanks to Warrior108 Warrior108 and I've been trying to get my hands on one I liked ever since.

I think everyone should have at least one Hiking Buddy. My fiancee even owns one, her only Fiddleback at the moment. I think it does a little better at the EDC role when compared to the Handyman because of it's slightly shorter OAL. That all said, I actually prefer the looks and guardless-ness of the Handyman, but want to get a Hiking Buddy first.

Sounds like the Forge could easily do two group buys. Maybe a round of AEB-L Old School Ladyfingers should be third... :D

I don't own either of these models, and I haven't had the opportunity to handle a 3/32 Handyman only 1/8 TT. I did have the chance to play with a 3/32 Hiking Buddy thanks to Warrior108 Warrior108 and I've been trying to get my hands on one I liked ever since.

I think everyone should have at least one Hiking Buddy. My fiancee even owns one, her only Fiddleback at the moment. I think it does a little better at the EDC role when compared to the Handyman because of it's slightly shorter OAL. That all said, I actually prefer the looks and guardless-ness of the Handyman, but want to get a Hiking Buddy first.
Can’t wait to receive the HB that you so kindly helped me snag last Friday. Thanks again!
On the 3/32” vs 1/8” TT issue, the verdict is still out for me. This particular HB (1/8” TT) has a VERY high grind, which is also an important factor IMO. I anticipate that I am going to like it very much and appreciate a bit of strength at the spine for this model.

Can’t wait to receive the HB that you so kindly helped me snag last Friday. Thanks again!
On the 3/32” vs 1/8” TT issue, the verdict is still out for me. This particular HB (1/8” TT) has a VERY high grind, which is also an important factor IMO. I anticipate that I am going to like it very much and appreciate a bit of strength at the spine for this model.

You're very welcome! That's definitely a beauty and I look forward to seeing more of it when it arrives!

I would rather lose the little bit of spine strength for the reduction in weight. I'm a big fan of light nimble feeling knives. In regards to the Hiking Buddy I've handled 3/32, 1/8 TT, and 1/8, the 3/32 is the only one that I wanted to keep. The other's just felt too heavy for my preferences.

Until recently, for a lot of my big game processing in the field I used a Tyto or Havalon knife which are essentially a scalpel, that's almost nothing in weight compared to a full size fixed blade. Like I said, light and nimble preferred! Using those replaceable bladed knives has taught me how to protect the edge and knife during strenuous use because they're easy to break if used incorrectly. Now I usually use a combo of the Tyto and a fixed blade.

You're very welcome! That's definitely a beauty and I look forward to seeing more of it when it arrives!

I would rather lose the little bit of spine strength for the reduction in weight. I'm a big fan of light nimble feeling knives. In regards to the Hiking Buddy I've handled 3/32, 1/8 TT, and 1/8, the 3/32 is the only one that I wanted to keep. The other's just felt too heavy for my preferences.

Until recently, for a lot of my big game processing in the field I used a Tyto or Havalon knife which are essentially a scalpel, that's almost nothing in weight compared to a full size fixed blade. Like I said, light and nimble preferred! Using those replaceable bladed knives has taught me how to protect the edge and knife during strenuous use because they're easy to break if used incorrectly. Now I usually use a combo of the Tyto and a fixed blade.

That makes a lot of sense.
I am not a hunter (though, since joining this forum, I am thinking I’d very much like to experience it) and my uses would fall into the category “small woods knife” “hiking companion” (“hiking buddy”? ;-)) and I suppose the little bit of extra heft (1/8” is still relatively thin compared to so many other knives) feels like a touch of added security. Otherwise, I also try to keep everything as light and nimble as possible.

Back